Chapter 4: Yes or No

"She sees them walking in a straight line, that's not really her style.

And they all got the same heartbeat, but hers is falling behind.

Nothing in this world could ever bring them down.

Yeah, they're invincible, and she's just in the background.

And she says,

"I wish that I could be like the cool kids,

'Cause all the cool kids, they seem to fit in.

I wish that I could be like the cool kids, like the cool kids."

"First jumper in the ring, last jumper, time to fight." Eric's voice echoed through the hall. I approached Four as Tris and Molly entered the ring. I was forced to fight during my initiation, so I felt for the girls. Well maybe just Tris. Molly had been proving herself an asset since day one.

"How long do we fight for?" Molly asked Eric. He and Four went back and forth for a moment. I knew that the two of them had a past together. Rumor had it that Four literally kicked the crap out of Eric when they had fought during their initiation. I never looked into it. Either way they had nothing to really prove to one another or anyone. They were both strong and smart. Maybe some personality adjustments could be made. Men. Always competing.

"You'll be scored on this so fight hard." Eric said and moved away from Four to stand beside me. I crossed my arms and waited for the two girls to being. "Go!" I glanced at Eric. He looked quick to me out of the corner of his eye before back at the girls. Tris was a bit apprehensive. She got encouragement from the crowd around her. Molly was bigger and packed more of a punch. Tris blocked when she could and tried to make her own advances against molly but was still knocked to the ground. Eric motioned to Molly to finish her off and with one final blow Tris was knocked out.

"Was that necessary?" I turned and said softly to Eric as I went to the mat. Flipping Tris over onto her back I shook her lightly. "Tris?" Tapping the side of her face to wake her, she groaned. "Come on girl, get up." I said forcing her to sit up.

"What happened?" She asked holding her head in her hands.

"You got knocked out." I said standing and holding out a hand. She accepted and I pulled her to her feet. "Let's get you some ice." I helped her off the platform and lead her over to a bench sitting her down.

"You helping her will not help her in the end." Eric's voice was behind me as I grabbed and ice pack from the medical bag. Cracking it in my hands I shook it, letting the chemical activate and get it cold. "She's the weakest one here." Tris could hear everything Eric was saying to me. The girl already knew where she stood; telling it to her face didn't make it any better. Kneeling down in front of Tris I place the ice pack on her cheek.

"I remember you saying the same thing about me." I said looking back at Eric. "Let the girl be." Eric scoffed and turned back to the mat. He called out two more names for the next fight.

"Is there a reason he is that way." I looked up at Tris.

"Who, Eric?" I chuckled. "Yeah, he has always been an ass." I stood up and sat next to her on the bench.

"So you two aren't . ." She paused and glanced away from me. I looked at her for a moment with a raised eyebrow. "You know you and Eric." She finished off.

"What, me and him together?" I laughed. It seemed silly to me at the time. "Is that what people think?" she nodded a small smile playing on her lips. I shook my head. "What gives everyone that assumption?" I asked.