Chapter 10: The Facts

I stared at the envelope on my kitchen counter. Alexandria. It was written in bold letters across the front. I had read the contents of the letter and found myself more confused. It held a single piece of paper with a single word written on it. Archive. I leaned forward against the counter. It was signed with a single letter as a signature. -A. I had gone to the archive and gotten nothing. Went to Amity got nothing. Then my step father gave me a note saying go back to the archive. I sighed and dropped my head forward. I began to rethink how badly I wanted answers. Turning to my cabinet I started making some lunch. It was still early in the day and I would have time to eat and go see the old lady at the archive. I focused on the meal on the stove. Going over every fact in my head. I knew my parents deflected to Amity or at least that was what I was told. Were Derick and Ashley their real names? I got to change mine so I had to speculate that as well. Johanna said that outside forces brought them to light. What the hell did that mean? What were my parents, who I was told deflected to Amity have to hide? I groaned as I stirred the pot.

"Alexandria."

"What." I said and turned to the voice. Eric held up the envelope. Shit. We really needed to knock more. I answered to my old name. I had to deflect somehow. "Did you say?" I finished and stepped over to him. He wasn't an idiot and he opened the envelope. I was glad that there was nothing truly written on it.

"Archive? Avery, is this the envelope I saw you with earlier?" I nodded. I found it hard lying to him. "Someone from Amity gave this to you?" He asked sternly. I nodded again. "Who?" I shook my head and turned back to the pot. We had so many discussions around the stove, kind of amusing actually. "Avery." He stepped up to me, his voice lowering.

"No." I said simply and turned to the sink to drain the pot. Noodles would be good for lunch. Once I set the pot down in the sink he forced me to look at him. "You know your mood swings are giving me whiplash!" I shouted at him and he stepped back.

"You're playing a dangerous game Avery." He stepped back up to me causing me to look up.

"What game!? What the hell is going on Eric?" He looked away from me. "Is it Erudite and their big plan?" I mocked with my hands and rolled my eyes. "Is it Max and this whole don't trust Amity or Abnegation bullshit?" He inclined his head. "Or are you really this controlling because if you are." I stopped myself and his face went blank.

"If what Avery?" He asked and I looked away. My mouth went away on its own again. Running my hands through my hair I sighed. This was so complicated.

"I just don't understand." He stood waiting for me to spit it all out. The envelope was crumpled in his fist. I groaned. "Why constant change? Why fuck around with Erudite? Why question everything that I do?" He closed his eyes and sighed. He looked like he was in deep thought for a moment. "What am I doing to bring so much attention to myself these days? I just want to be a good leader." I turned back to the sink and dumped the noodles back into the pot. I had lost my appetite. I felt his arms wrap around me and I sighed. He kissed the back of my neck and I leaned back into him. "I'm sorry." I whispered.

"No, I am." Usually I would apologize first and he would give me an, I knew I was always right speech. This was different. "I was wrong to get you involved in this." He said into my shoulder and I turned around in his arms to face him. "I don't want you to get hurt." What? Who was going to hurt me? What was going to hurt me?

"I'm a pretty tough gal if you haven't figured it out." I said flexing my muscles a bit. He smirked. He pulled me too him and we shared a kiss. What was going to hurt me? Something else was going on with the Erudite plan that even I being a part of it didn't know. I needed answers. After lunch we headed back towards the training area I needed an excuse to get away to the archive and ask the questions I needed.