Chapter 3: A step or Two

Chapter 3: A Step or Two

"I see you with her and it crushes me inside

Guess I should stop thinking about you all the time

Maybe this is what I needed maybe this is a sign

Maybe I've been blind to reality baby tell me

Every little glance my way

Every time you wanted to hang

You seemed so interested

Could you tell me was it real or was it all in my head

Was it real or was it all in my head"

"I need you to go get Eric for me." Four looked to me and I frowned. I had been helping Four since yesterday and felt like an errand boy. I was a leader reduced to finding other leaders. "Please." Four and I had set the new initiates up after they arrived for training. Place to stay, clothes, food, speeches from Max. Now was day one. The start of it all and Eric, the head honcho of this whole charade was late. I sighed and agreed. "Thanks, I'll get these guys up and out of bed." I told myself it wasn't a big deal. All I was missing was waking these kids up. Still. Felt like Four was telling a leader what to do. I pushed it to the back of my mind. Four and I got along well. I had no reason to hate him for asking a favor. Jogging up to the apartments I stopped outside of Eric's door. The door was cracked open. Looking at my watch I groaned. He was late. Pushing the door open I stepped in.

"A knock would have sufficed." Looking to the voice I saw Eric walk out of his bedroom shirt in hand. In hand. Not on. I held my breath. He was pure muscle.

"You're late." I forced out trying not to focus on his half naked self. He slipped on his shirt and glanced at the clock.

"Four sent you?" Why did it matter? He was late, let's go.

"Yes." He chuckled and slipped on his boots.

"So you let someone lower than you tell you what to do?" I went to speak but stopped myself. This was planned. I glared at him as he stepped up to me.

"It wasn't an order." I told him and he shook his head. "What, should I have sent him? I'm sure you would have love to see his beautiful face first thing this morning instead of my ugly one." He frowned.

"No." He stepped closer. Raising his hand he brushed a stray hair away from my temple. His fingers brushed against my piercings and I flinched away. "You're way prettier than him." Nope. The feeling was back. Just like he did when we fought. Stepping back quick I rolled my eyes.

"Save the sweet talk for Jessica." There it was again. Words flying without meaning them. I was truly jealous. It had only been a week since my feelings for him had resurfaced and I hated myself for it. "Now hurry up we are late." I turned away from him and heard him chuckle. What now?

"Do you think Jessica and I are a thing?" I turned back to him when I reached the door. It was obvious. The way she acted around him. I mean, she was practically in his apartment two nights prior. He did kick her out though.

"I doesn't matter, we are late." I said and moved toward the door. As I went to open it he quickly forced it shut.

"It does matter." He towered over me as I turned to look up at him. "You actually see me with someone like her." I looked away from him for a moment. Jessica wasn't his type in theory she was bubbly but neither was I. I always pictured him with someone just as hard as him. The heart makes you do silly things. Looking back up at him I shrugged. He moved closer. I was trapped between him and the door. I kept my gaze on him. His hand left the door. "I didn't think so." He said and stepped back away from me. "Let's go." He motioned to the door. I opened it quick and left the room.