Chapter 7 Unanswered Questions

"World pollution, there's no solution

Institution, electrocution

Just black and white, rich or poor

Senators stop the war

I'd love to change the world

But I don't know what to do

So I'll leave it up to you"

"I need information on a Derick and Ashley James." I said to the archive keeper. We had a large archive, most of it kept on computers, and some kept in paper form. The keeper nodded. She was an on older Dauntless woman. One who had seen her days of glory and now protected the archive. I waited as she turned and typed away on her computer. I had breakfast in the dining hall that morning with Eric. We talked about basic things and he kept the subject away from my questions. I had no idea that someone would aim to over throw the current government or that Jeanine had been hunting Divergent's for some time.

"I have nothing here on file, do you have a time or date when they may have last been recorded. Maybe I can start there." I thought for a moment. The Dauntless kept tabs on everyone, a fact I learned after I became a leader. It was for intelligence reasons of course but anyone not of importance ended up in the archive.

"Try ten years back." I suggested. The time my parents had disappeared. She sighed and shook her head.

"I will look for you but I need some time, all those files would be in paper format." I nodded when she pointed back to a large library of filing cabinets. "I will let you know if I find anything."

"Thank you." I left the archive. I could always ask Four. He had tabs on the more current and possibly dangerous threats but I had to be careful. I did not want Eric knowing that I was snooping around more than I should. I glanced at the clock as I left the archive. It was almost noon. There was no training today. I sighed. I could find and bug Eric but other things came to mind. I headed to the train. Once on it I knew that my absence at the compound would be questioned. I knew though that my answers would lie with one person. Johanna. When I arrived at the gate I was stopped by the guards that stood there.

"I'm sorry ma'am we need to know your business." I rolled my eyes.

"I have business in Amity that's all you need to know." I looked between two guards who exchanged glances with one another. "What?" I was getting overly angry. I was a leader. I shouldnt have to keep reminding myself that.

"We need to know that business."

"Do you ask all leaders the same question?" Again they glanced at each other. "You seem to be questioning even your own thoughts on this. Is there any real problem with me going into Amity?"

"No." I laughed at their answer. They were wasting my time.

"Then let me pass." I tried not to shout but my voice was raised. The two nodded to each other and I walked past them. The gate opened and I was soon on the other side of the wall. I sighed. It would be a long walk to the main compound. I decided to run. When I made to the hill that overlooked the Amity compound I stopped. Catching my breath I smiled. Amity had its own charm that I missed ever since I left. When I made it to the compound I asked for Johanna. I was escorted to her office.

"What brings you here today?" She asked as I took a seat in front of her. I had sat here many times. I wasn't the best Amity youth. I caused more trouble than I could remember.

"I need you to tell me about my parents." She smiled and shook her head.

"Your parents are in the field dear." I rose my hand to stop her. I knew she would defer to them as my parents but they weren't. They were stand ins nothing more.