19 | Upside down

Steve carefully got up, glancing around and spotting the creatures heading towards him, running and grabbing an oar. He swung at the first bat, knocking it down and dodging the second and third by ducking. He missed the next one, circling him and wrapping it's long tail around his neck, choking him. Another bat landed on his stomach, taking a bit out of his side as he strained. Someone hit the bat off his side, bashing it to the side and making it whimper before flying away. "Hey there." Nancy breathed out, Y/n, Eddie and Robin stood behind her, all equipped with oars too. Nancy hit the other bat off of Steve while Robin stomped on the one that had its tail wrapped around his neck. Nancy bashed it multiple times while Eddie and Y/n fended of any new bats near them. "Y/n watch out!" Eddie called, slightly too late and the bat bit into their shoulder, making them shout out in pain.

Eddie tried pulling it off while Robin and Nancy helped, Steve managing to pull the bat off from his neck as he gasped for air. Robin managed to pull the bat off of Y/n while Eddie bashed his oar into it repeatedly. Steve grabbed a hold of one, bashing it to the ground and pulling on it, breaking it into two before spitting any gross stuff in his mouth out. "Steve! Are you okay?" Nancy asked, her and Robin running over to check he was okay, forgetting Y/n was injured too. The bite on their shoulder turned out to be deeper than they thought, as well as having multiple around the area from the bat repeatedly biting into them as it was moved around. "Jesus H Christ!" Eddie shouted, chucking his oar on the floor. His worry grew as he saw Y/n's shirt slowly become red, being painted by their blood. "Y/n! Hey, hey, hey!" he called, holding their good shoulder. They saw the panic on his face, now starting to hyperventilate. "Eds? Is it bad?" they asked, their voice wavering. He took a deep breath, hiding his worry as he assured them it was going to be okay.

They heard the bats shriek, seeing a flock of them heading their way again. "The woods. Come on!" Nancy suggested, running off back into them, the others following. They hid under skull rock, waiting until the bats had disappeared, coming out after. "Oh, sh... shit." Steve breathed out, holding onto the wall for support. "Steve? Jesus." Nancy said, running over to him. Eddie grabbed his bandana from his back pocket before turning to them. "Let me sort you out Y/n/n, not having you die on me today." he joked, earning a small smile from them. "Oh here, it might help." they said, reaching into their pocket and pulling another bandana out. Robin walked over, her mouth opening as she saw the state of their shoulder. "Jesus Christ, Y/n..." she said as Eddie managed to somehow bandage up their shoulder, using the bandanas and other material Robin had given them. Eddie got bored while waiting for Nancy and Steve to finish having their little 'moment', so he climbed up the rock standing on the tallest bit. "So, uh, this place is like Hawkins, but with monsters and nasty shit?" he questioned, Robin and Y/n nodding, telling him was correct.

"Pretty much. Wait, watch out for the vines. It's all a hive mind." Y/n said, Eddie tilting his head. "It's all a what?" he asked, not sure what they meant. Steve huffed, getting up and walking to the others. "All the creepy crawlies around here, dude. They're like one or something. Step on a vine, you're stepping on a bat, you're stepping on Vecna." Steve explained, Eddie immediately getting down, watching his step carefully. "But everything from our world is still here, right? Except people?" Robin questioned, Nancy nodded. "As far as I understand it, yeah." she agreed. "So, theoretically, we could go to the police station and steal guns and grenades and whatever we need to blow up those bat things that are guarding the gates." Robin rambled, trying to think of a solution. "I highly doubt the Hawkins PD has grenades, Robin, but guns, yeah, sure." Steve pointed out the obvious. "Well, we don't have to go all the way downtown for guns. I have guns, in my bedroom." Nancy informed them, Eddie looking over at her in utter shock.

"You, Nancy Wheeler, have guns, plural, in your bedroom?" Eddie said, unable to get his head around it, feeling like a fever dream. "Full of surprises, isn't she?" Y/n commented, pointing a hand to her. "A Russian Makarov and a revolver." she informed Eddie, Steve snorting in the background. "Yeah, you almost shot me with that one." he reminded, Nancy chuckling at the memory. "You almost deserved it." she smiled, both flinching as Eddie threw Steve his denim vest. "For your modesty, dude." he smirked, looking back at Y/n and Robin who were holding back laughs. The ground started rumbling, Steve wrapping an arm around Nancy while Eddie caught Y/n as they tumbled to the ground. "Yeah, so guns seem like a pretty good idea to me." Eddie stated, standing up and helping Y/n before helping Robin. "Yeah, me too." Y/n second, agreeing with him.

-------------------------

"Couldn't we have tried a road, or something just slightly less creepy?" Robin asked, her arm intertwined with Y/n's, Nancy walking a few steps ahead and Eddie and Steve behind them. "I think we're getting close, we're almost out of here don't worry." Y/n comforted, sending her a small smile. "Eddie. Eddie, hey man. Uh...Listen, I just, uh, I just wanna say thanks...for saving my ass and Y/n back there." Steve thanked, Eddie scratching his neck and coughing, not sure what to say. "Shit, you saved your own ass, man. I mean, that was a real Ozzy move you pulled back there." Eddie confessed, looking back up when he got no response, Steve had a confused face and his eyebrows raised. "When you took a bite out of that bat. Ozzy Osbourne? Black sabbath? He bit a bat's head off on stage." Eddie questioned, sighing as he saw Steve still not understanding. "I don't...that's more y/n's thing." Steve excused, Eddie nodding along. He cleared his throat before continuing. "It's very metal, what you did. That's all I'm saying." Eddie complimented. "The Hendersons told me you were a badass. Dustin insisted on the matter, in fact." Eddie exposed, speaking softer and quieter to make sure Y/n didn't hear him. Steve gasped quietly, looking at him. "Wait, they said that?" he asked, Eddie nodding quickly. "Oh yeah, shit. Kid worships you, dude, like you have no idea. It's kind of annoying, to be honest. Y/n thinks highly of you too, after all you've done for them and Dustin. You're like his older brother." Eddie shrugged, Steve ignoring the slight twang in his heart as he heard 'brother'. "I don't even know why I care what that little shrimp thinks, or Y/n, but, uh, guess I got a little jealous, Steve." Eddie admitted, walking into his side.

"I guess I couldn't accept the fact that Steve Harrington, was actually a good dude. Rich parents, popular, chicks love him. Not a douche? No way, man, no way. That like, flies in the face of all the laws in the universe and my own personal Munson doctrine. Still super jealous as hell, by the way" he teased, Steve chuckling. "Which is why I would never have jumped in that lake to save your ass. Not under any, uh...normal circumstances. Nope. Outside of d&d, I am no hero. I see danger and I just turn heel and run, or at least that's what I've learned about myself this week." he said, holding his hand up to stop Steve from talking. "See? the only reason I came in here was 'cause those three came in straight after you. I might of come in after Y/n, but to be honest, I was too ashamed to be the one who stayed behind. But Wheeler right there? She didn't waste a second. Not one second, she just dove right in. Now, I don't know what happened between you two, but if I were you? I'd get her back, 'cause that was as unambiguous a sign of true love as these cynical eyes have ever seen." Eddie admitted, Steve glancing between him, Nancy and Y/n.

Steve debated before deciding to tell Eddie. "Same goes for you and Y/n...I... I have no clue what's going on between the two of you, but I've never seen them so...so bright and smiley all the time outside of school. And don't think I haven't seen the way you both look at each other. She really likes you, you know man. Just...do me a favour and treat her well. For both your sake, their sake and Dustin's sake." he rambled, ignoring the pain in his gut and the tears threatening to make his eyes glossy, walking ahead to join the others as Eddie stood still, taking in the new information before jogging to catch up.

"What..."