Chapter 34: The Forgotten

Anne's POV:

After one week...

It has been a week since we were first brought here in Valhalla. Angelie still hasn't woken up, Clyde is barely holding it together, and then Kalia and I were doing occasional visits to the Council just to make sure they weren't planning an attack yet.

Chantel, on the other hand, went outside the Valhalla again. If the whole week was tough for me, it was the toughest for Chantel. Every morning, she never fails to visit and check up on Angelie, but once it is already night, she goes out of Valhalla and goes to somewhere we don't know.

Kalia and I didn't even think about bothering her because it might be her only way of coping. However, aside from all the bad energy spreading around Valhalla, Kalia and I decided to make it official. It turns out that she felt the same way I felt for her when she first saw me on the outskirts. Bad timing, I know. 

About the Council, there wasn't anything suspicious about their securities the last time we checked which might mean that they aren't releasing the gas yet. They are probably still searching for the three of us who escaped.

Mara, who I later on realized was the ruler of this place, is making this place stand on its feet again. I think she and Chantel had a talk, it was worth it because everyone was so productive. 

I feel bad but also not for Clyde. I feel bad for him because he anticipated seeing Angelie apologize for everything he has done, he told us about everything the other day, but also not because what he did was kind of a bad move especially for letting his reputation take over love.

His face was sometimes gloomy but sometimes when it is his time to teach kids about general things, his face shines and he always gleams with a smile. 

"Are you done?"

I sat up and looked at Kalia who sat beside me. 

"I am still wrapping my head about everything that has and is happening."

 Kalia reached for my face which made me face her mesmerizing face. "We talked about this...we will take these one day at a time."

I smiled and reached for her hands to hold it. "I am so glad you finally surpassed being a coward and confessed your feelings to me."

Kalia removed her hands from my face and gave me a mean glare. I laughed at her actions and Kalia did too. We turned our heads to look at the view of the ocean, and she spoke the words she just said to me last night.

"I love you."

I looked at her adorable face and said back the same words she said. "I love you, too and I won't get tired of saying it to you until we grow older."

"Aww, look at you, Ms. Fredrick, getting all mushy." Kalia teased.

I playfully rolled my eyes and grabbed her by the waist which made her go silent. I shook my head with a smirk at how powerful my effect is on Kalia.

"I can hear the boasting inside your head, please shut it off."

I laughed and planted a kiss on the top of her head. "Never."

We stayed there watching the ocean for a minute until we heard a noise coming from the medic room. We immediately ran to where Angelie is and what we saw is enough to make this day even better.

"ANGELIE! YOU'RE AWAKE!" I ran and greeted her with a hug.

I didn't feel Angelie sink into my hug but I wasn't really expecting it because she is still recovering. I felt Kalia stand behind me and also greeted Angelie, but she didn't talk back. I confusedly let her go and she was also giving me the same confused look.

Our eyes went to Clyde who was holding Angelie's hand, and then Angelie spoke to him in a hushed tone.

"Father, who are all these people?"

My smile turned downwards after hearing what Angelie just said. I was too surprised to speak up. I turned around to avoid Angelie's eyes because I might burst out in uncontrollable tears right now. 

The medic came to our sight and I was the first one to ask him. "Why can't my friend remember us?"

I tried keeping my voice calm but the situation that is unfolding right now won't help. The medic told me to stay calm and he will explain everything to us.

"Angelie actually woke up last night but she quickly fell back to sleep. Did you know what she asked me the first time she opened her eyes? She asked me where is she and that she was supposed to be in training."

I worriedly looked at Angelie who still seem weak and tired. 

"The substance she inhaled, attacked her brain and damaged a few cells...which led her to the condition of Retrograde amnesia. She can still remember the people and events that happened in her earlier life, except for the recent memories she just made and that includes you and the other people she just met in the past few weeks."

I suddenly felt weak and felt Kalia support my back. "Is there a chance that she might remember us?"

The medic tutted and scanned the notebook he was holding. "There is, but it will be only small flashes. I recommend making her familiar again with the environment and the people she has been with. When she fully recovers, she might still feel migraines but it should only last for a few minutes."

"Anne, be thankful that she lasted much longer," Kalia said.

"What if she can't remember us anymore?"

"Then we will make new memories with her."

I sniffled and turned around to hug Kalia. "Thank you."