Chapter 25: The Attempt

"Ange, no matter what happens, we will get the hell out of here."

Those were the last words I heard from Anne before she got taken away by a group of security. Meanwhile, I was confined in an isolated room which is probably my father's way of saying "She can rot in there for all I care."

I kicked the bed's post for the 30th time today, I also lose track of time because I wasn't allowed to see outside. Hell, the room lacks windows and the tiny source of light coming in here is from under the door. 

A sound came from outside my door that made me promptly sit down on the bed. The door opened and it revealed the same security personnel who was giving me meals. I eyed him carefully as he placed the tray on the bedside table.

The security glanced at me shortly before stepping out of the doorway. Just before he could lock the door, he quickly fished something from his pockets and let it fall to the ground before swiftly kicking it in my direction.

I curiously looked at the paper and immediately grabbed it before someone could enter my room. I opened it and what was written inside it made me surprised and shocked at the same time.

"I'm a friend of Anne Fredrick and I saw her being held in a cell. I was told that I should let you know to make your way to the bathroom at the next meal. I will help her to get there. My kind regards, Edgar."

A smile crept to my lips as I folded the paper and put it in the back of my pants pocket. Anne does have a plan after all. Edgar, or whoever he is, is probably risking his life for helping a captive. I can't even imagine what will the Council do to him once they realized that security personnel helped a captive escape.

I took a bite of the fruit on the tray and placed it along the other trays that has been stacked on the table. Usually, they bring in food every three hours, which means that I have to wait for another three hours to excuse myself to the bathroom.

I sat on the bed and let my thoughts occupy the remaining time. No matter how many times I could sleep or take a nap, the thought of the Remnants always invade my head. I have no idea if they made it to Valhalla, or if Chantel was sent back without harm.

It has been days since we parted. I remember being forcibly pulled away from the car by the security as soon as they saw our faces. They tossed Chantel a bag and thanked her for bringing us into them. 

I remember entering the Council and seeing hundreds of faces looking down at us disgustingly and full of hatred, but nothing could beat the look on my father's face when he saw me entering the Council doors. He stared at me like he was done with me, it turns out that he really is because he threw me in a room with no chance of going outside for days, except for bathroom breaks.

I didn't even realize that it has been three hours that I was thinking about different scenarios when the door started to open again. I put up a dramatic face just to show them that I can't hold it anymore.

"I need to take the bathroom," I said to the other security who just nodded but kept his eyes trained on my every move.

He walked behind me as I made my way to the bathroom where Anne is supposed to be at. I gave the security a stern nod before closing the door in front of him. 

"Anne?" I whispered and checked the stalls when one stall in particular opened.

"Anne, are you there?"

I opened the stall door and saw Edgar's lifeless body beside the toilet. I covered my mouth to stop myself from freaking out at the sight. His face was no longer full of color like earlier, it seems like he suffered from strangulation.

I shook my head from all the rambling happening inside my head and think carefully about how I should hide Edgar's body.

"Who did this to you?" I said to particularly no one.

I went to the stall where the hatch is located and opened it. Where the hell is Anne?

"Groves, it's time." A loud knock made me jump a little which made me drop Edgar's body.

"Shit."

"What's going on in there?! I'm going in!"

I cursed one last time before closing the stall's door where Edgar's body is before the security could come in. I pretended to be washing my hands as he walked inside with a scowl.

"Go outside."

I dried my hands and nodded. I quickened my steps and left the security behind, I didn't even try turning my head because he could get suspicious. I was just walking back to my room when the alarms started to ring. I covered my ears from the noise because it was literally coming from above me.

"Red Alert."

Red Alert...the security must have found Edgar's body. A shakily continued to walk but before I could enter my room, two people approached behind me that took me off guard.

"The Council is requesting your presence." One of them said from behind me.

"W-what for?" I nervously retorted which earned a mean look from the other one grabbing my arm. The two of them completely ignored me as we walked in the direction of the Council's board office.

I internally groaned at the thought of seeing the face of my father again.