Chapter 27: The Collapse

"My daughter had a pretty tiring day...I'm sure she just needed some rest."

I scoffed and shook my head in disappointment. After everything, all my father really did care about was his reputation to the goddamn Council. 

One of the board members stood up from their chair and went to signal one of the security. I carefully watched as the security came back with a tank and a mask that looks like what they use when someone needs oxygen.

"Prove it then, Groves." The member challenged my father with a warning glare.

Knowing my father, he would put that thing to me without thinking. I saw Clyde hesitate for a second, but it was all replaced with an odd look in his eyes. He grabbed the tank and the mask and walked to me.

"Angelie, please take back what you said." He whispered and I shook my head no.

"It's the truth! I would only take it back when you called off this thing going on with the Remnants." I almost hate how I sound like a whining child right now. 

I heard Clyde release a shaky sigh before facing the board members. "I'm not doing this to my child."

Seats were suddenly being abruptly pushed back and all the board members stared like they were about to eliminate us. Before we know it, the security was already holding us and keeping us from where we stood while all the members left the room.

I confusedly looked at Clyde to ask him why did all the board members suddenly go crazy. 

"I'm sorry, Ange."

"What's inside the tank?" I said through gritted teeth. 

"It's...it's a project that the whole council was planning, it's a gas that they will release in the atmosphere that could kill anyone that doesn't have the special genome in their body. It will kill the Remnants within minutes of contact, Ange." Clyde held his head low while I was out of words from the revelation he just said.

It probably could kill me...but it would definitely kill Chantel and all the Remnants at Valhalla. "You can't let that happen."

"I'm sorry, kid, but everything is out of my hands now, unless you accept the proposition I told you."

I firmly shook my head. "No, I will never be part of this sickening system but you could help me get out of here! I could at least warn them..."

Clyde suddenly burst into tears. "Your mother...they did the same procedure to her, that's why I have to take her far from here and back to the place where her kind lives."

"You mean, they made her inhale that gas?" I was fuming again. 

"YOU COULD HAVE STOPPED THEM! SHE'S YOUR WIFE!" I shouted in front of my father and broke out from the hold of the security behind me.

"I'm sorry..." He breathed out but his apology was too late.

How the hell did they even know that my mother was a Remnant? I sat down on the ground and repeatedly shook my head in disdain toward my father. 

"You could have helped her and she would still be alive today," I muttered. Tears were starting to blur my vision but my eyes stayed focused on the tank resting in front of me.

My decision to take the tank stopped me when the door suddenly burst open and a whole army of security rushed inside together with the board members. I stood up alarmingly and walked backward.

"W-what is all of this, Hendrick?"

"Oh, Groves, we knew that you will come to this end. I would be happy to take your position and you can finally bond with your daughter...together with her mother."

As much as I want to break that smirk forming on Hendrick's face, the security was carefully watching our every move. I looked at Clyde and it looks like he was already accepting his fate, but I am not.

"I really thought that Taran and Edgar Jones will be enough lessons for you to stop meddling with the Council's business...but I guess you got that toughness from your mother who became the first successor of the project that started with our ancestors."

I furrowed my eyebrows at Hendrick and spat the words I have been blaming my father for. "You ordered the bombing of Taran?"

"Correct. Now, shall we proceed?"

Hendrick took a step back and the security inched closer to me. 

"Don't worry, little Groves, this won't hurt...for now."

Those were the last words I heard before one of the security put the mask around my head and I fell into unconsciousness within seconds.