Ch. 59: Awkward Times

A/N: I'M BACK AND BETTER THAN EVER!!!

Well...kinda, lol.

Point is, I'm finally feeling better enough to keep writing. While it won't be too frequent, I'll try my best to upload every little while to keep you all invested and in the story. Thank you all so much for the support you guys have shown me as I heal through the past few months. I love you all and am truly grateful for your kind words!

I consider this an early birthday present to myself (sweet sixteen comin' this Tuesday!!! Ahhh!), and a reward for coming so far.

Again, thank you all.

Enjoy :)

Ben glares from behind us.

I know it's at Darius, but I don't pay attention to it. I'm too busy focusing on the feeling of his hand in mine, and the butterflies that flap around in my chest because of it.

Finally. We're actually together!

Since we'd first kissed, there'd only been two or three brief and quick ones. The reason being to keep my brother sane as we all traversed the jungle trying to figure out what to do. So far, we planned on heading back to the treehouse and making a plan to try and escape on our own, but with Ben's head injury, we would have to wait at least a few weeks so he could actually travel.

But those worries were in the back of my mind. Darius and I were together, we'd kissed, and right now that felt like all that mattered.

After thirty minutes of walking away from the limo, we decided to take a break and sit down on a log. Darius and Ben each covered my sides, and the tension between them was clear in the way Ben would continuously glance at him and Darius would shift uncomfortably. I rolled my eyes.

"Ben, stop. I get that you were just hurt, but you know Darius! He would never hurt me!"

There was a flicker. My brother tried to cover it up by looking annoyed at my comment, but I still noticed the small change in his expression. It had looked...sad? Surprised? I didn't have much time to read it before he looked away again. He didn't say anything, and I was going to ask him if he was okay, but we were interrupted.

There was a cacophony of roars in the distance. The ground started shaking beneath us.

All three of us let out a harmonic groan.

"Can't we have one minute without dinosaurs chasing us?"

"No time to complain!" I shout, grabbing onto them and pulling them to their feet. We start to run just as I hear to creatures breaking the tree line behind us.

"Run!"

{}{}{}{}

We barely leapt behind a fallen tree trunk before a group of brachiosaurus dinosaurs started leaping over our heads. I used my bow staff to push the three of us all flush against the log. Dirt, mud, dust, and rocks flew around us as the large creatures made their way back into the jungle.

We waited with closed eyes until the ground started to calm down. I carefully opened them again and watched them all disappear into the trees.

"Holy shit, that was close! You guys okay?"

Darius nods, and Ben gives me a shaky thumbs up. I look him over, relieved when I see no blood soaking through his bandages and no signs of disorientation. Slowly, I stand up, helping Ben as Darius pushes himself to his feet. We all look back in the direction the dinos had ran.

"Do you think the Scorpius' attacked them?" I asked.

"I hope to every supernatural being that they didn't, but seeing as that is highly unlikely, I say we should get moving before they find us," Ben suggests. I take my bow and hold it in front of me like a staff — seeing as I had no arrows, and no time to make any, I had to use my weapon in a much less effective and insufficient way.