Ch. 6: The Cattle Drive

We thought it'd be fun

We thought we'd be safe

But...

We didn't realize the...horror waiting for us on the island

Claws

Teeth

Screaming

So much screaming

The T-Rex stalked closer

His jaws opened wide

And-

*FLASH*

Darius stops his story at the flash of a light, which makes both me and Ben flinch back as well. My brother, who'd been clinging to my arm in fear through the scary story, had loosened his grip while my eyes narrowed on Brooklyn.

The girl looked up from her phone upon noticing the silence, fire crackling being the only other noise, and raised an eyebrow.

"What? It's for the vlog. Keep telling your little story."

Does everything have to be about her stupid vlog!

Darius put his hood back up.

Kon leaned in with excited eyes. "Oh, here we go..." he muttered.

Ben's grip on my arm tightened again.

"The T-Red star-"

*Beep*

We all groan.

"Out of space, wait. I'm sorry, hold on..."

We all watch impatiently as she flips through her phone, unknowing to the annoyed campers around her.

"I just don't wanna delete my selfie on Everest, you know?"

"Ooh!" Sammy gasped when Brooklyn showed her something on her screen.

"Maybe I should start over." Darius suggested, only for Ben to quickly shout, "No!"

"In fact, you can just stop!"

Kon, from Ben's other side, groaned. "Chill, Dude. He's not even telling the story right now."

Darius, ignoring my brother's plea, tried to continue anyways.

"The T-Rex stalked-"

"Shouldn't we call Yasmina over?" Sammy interrupts, looking back at where the track star stands sketching at the end of the balcony. "I bet she'd love this story!"

"Ugh!" Darius falls back onto his bench. "Maybe she wants to be by herself."

"I don't understand?"

"You know how some people just wanna be left alone?" Kon says, then...

Cough. "Blake." Cough.

I sink into myself, resisting the urge to smack his leg. Ben does it for me though, which I'm grateful for.

"Ow! What was that-" Kon starts, but Sammy suddenly laughs.

"Kenji, you're hilarious! I think she's just shy and doesn't know how to make camp friends."

Like me. I think, looking back at her.

If that's true, then I understand. I don't even know if I want to make friends here, or just stay in their company with Ben.

Suddenly, thunder crashes through the air and lightning flashes across the earth. I flinch back along with Ben, and everyone looks up to see rain beginning to fall.