Ch. 3: Heights And Talks

Okay, why did I have my doubts again?

I kept asking myself this question over and over again as I walked around the main camp. The space surrounding it was large enough to fit several dinosaurs at least, and where we'd be staying looked almost like a five star hotel built right into the bark of a tree!

"This place is almost as big as my family's ranch back home." Sammy mused.

"That's because when we're up and running, the camp will house five-hundred kids and a hundred and fifty staff." Roxy explained.

Me and Ben's eyes went wide. Okay, five other kids were quite a lot for me, but five hundred? Okay, I'd definitely suggest never coming back to my mom when we get back home!

"Listen up! Announcement time from your co-head counselors!" David shouted, getting everyone's attention. Roxy shot him a look and muttered how that still wasn't a thing.

"Okay everyone, there are some ground rules to cover: curfews at eight p.m, and lights out at nine p.m sharp."

Everyone groaned and complained about that, while Ben and I fist bumped.

"This is for your safety!" Roxy explained. "We are in a dinosaur filled jungle. You must always keep your distance, or you could be seriously hurt, if not worse."

Noted...

"Define 'worse'." Ben said.

Nobody seemed to hear him, or maybe just ignored him.

"The cabins are up a-that-a-way!"

"Race you to the top!"

"First one there gets top bunk!"

Me and Ben followed, though unbothered by the fact we'd most likely get bottom bunks.

————

Okay, could this place get any better?

The campers watched in awe from the camp's watch tower as dinosaurs (the non-human eating kind) walked through a gorgeous valley as the sun began to set. It was such a peaceful view that I wish mom had let me bring my phone so I could record it.

Darius laughed, looking like he was having the time of his life.

"There's Brachiosaurus! Parasaurolophus. Stegosaurus. Ankylosaurus!"

Okay, what language is he speaking?

"Wow, you really do know your stuff, Dino-nerd." Brooklyn laughed.

"Check out the....uh....Brontosaurus!" Kon yelled, pointing down at the crowd of dinos. I look, but since I don't know what a Brontosaurus is, I can't tell what he's pointing at.

"They don't have those here." Darius said. "Common mistake."

I want to laugh, but refrain.

"Where are they herding em' to?" Sammy asks.

"They're herding them back to their nighttime enclosures." Roxy informs.

"Okay, enough banter." Dave chuckles. He leads us over to a plank sticking out of the tower, which leads onto a zip line that goes over the dinosaurs. Wait? Are we...

"Zip line party time!"

Okay...we are.

Dave reaches over and grabs Ben's hand. He straps him into the zip line seat while I watch warily. Of all people to go first, me and my brother should be far from it! We aren't exactly the most adventurous kids, especially when it comes to things like...uh, this.