Ch. 57: A Shock To The System

The group got Sammy up and sat against a support beam of the treehouse, pillow behind her for extra comfort.

It had only been several minutes since she'd woken up, but yet it felt like hours between then and now. I watched Yaz as she stayed at her best friend's side, holding her close and making sure she was okay. It was clear Sammy hadn't heard what she had said right before she'd come into consciousness, which broke my heart a bit.

I knew Yasmina well. She wasn't going to admit her feelings right to Sammy's face so soon again, especially after everything that just happened. She needed time, so I understood that. But I still believed Sammy would need to know sooner or later, especially since I guaranteed the feelings were reciprocated.

I stayed away to let the girls hold each other, and walked up to Ben. He was looking up at the moon, high and bright over us. It made for a beautiful view of the sky.

"You doing okay?"

Ben nodded, but I knew that was a lie. I didn't know if I should call him out on it, so I stayed quiet and took a look at his hair.

The blood was completely dried, now, and while I couldn't really see the tear in his head, I was sure it was starting to close up.

"I'm not bleeding out, if that's what you're worried about," Ben suddenly spoke, making me laugh.

"I know, just...worried."

I wrapped an arm around his shoulders and leaned my head against his. At this, I saw him grin.

"Y'know, I...I saw the, um...pterodactyls, while we were going to find the antidote. They flew right over us."

Ben's smile disappeared, and he turned to me with a frown.

"Yeah, I, uh, I saw some, too. Darius and I had to hold leaves over our heads to keep going without them seeing us."

At that image, I giggled lightly.

"Well, I really wish I could've seen that."

Ben rolled his eyes, but his smile came back. I decided to leave alone the fact that ever since seeing them, I couldn't stop seeing the mental image of a bleeding, dying Ben in their grips. I didn't want to ruin this small moment of peace.

We stood there for a while, just looking up at the sky, where the clouds were starting to break apart slightly for a better view of the stars.

It reminded me of home.

Of going up to the roof with mom while Ben was sleeping, so he wouldn't freak out over the dangers of us being up so high, and stealing his telescope to use to see space. Mars, Saturn, the moon — the third one was always my favorite, even if I didn't need any special lenses to see it.

The moon was a bright, healthy satellite that was a spotlight over us. It gave me hope for a better future, where mom would be happy, and Ben would grow out of his fears.

Where I'd learn to socialize and love being around other people.

Even now, I know I'm still not all the way there yet. While I may have grown more accustomed to talking around these guys, opening up is still pretty hard. Telling Darius how I'd submerged into an ocean of grief and depression had felt like a moment of weakness at the time. It still does at times, when I'm feeling most tired and scared.

Admitting what I feel is scarier than anything, even more so than the predators we've been trapped with all these months. I can do it better with Ben than anyone else, but even then, I still have trouble.

Maybe I will be better.

And if I will, maybe I can admit to Darius that I-

"Let's get to the boat while there's a break in the storm."