Ch. 56: The Long Run

Ben flinched with a sharp yelp.

"Ow! Stop!"

"I'm trying to clean your injury, dumbass! Let me just get in there..."

I'm putting a damp rag to my brother's head, which is finally starting to stop in its bleeding. I'm still going to need to figure out how to sew up the wound, but for now, this is the best I can do to help.

As I'm doing this, Sammy lies in semi-consciousness on the ground, pillow under her head for comfort. The poor girl is groaning and moving around while her skin continues to pale and grow damper with sweat.

The longer we wait, the worse she'll get. From what I remember in the video, she'll need to get that anti-venom or else she could...might...

"Blake? Bee, are you okay?"

I realized then that I had stopped pressing the rag to Ben's head, and he had turned to look at me. His eyes followed where I gazed at Sammy, her left hand held tightly in Yasmina's. The girl in question was in tears, and it broke my heart.

Ben realized what was wrong and looked at me with understanding.

"She'll be okay. We'll find a way to fix her."

"How? I-I...if..."

Ben squeezed my hand.

"It's going to be okay. It's okay."

I nod, but hesitantly.

"Now, if you're done-"

"Nope!" I chuckle, pulling him back down as he tries to get up. He whines, but stays put while I put the rag back to his head.

Yaz is whispering something to her friend that I can't hear.

But the look in her eyes is enough to tell me that her genuiness was more than that. More than just care.

It was so much more.

"Taking out the quills wasn't enough," Darius sighs. "The poison is already in her system. She needs the antidote!"

"Oh, sure, yeah, an antidote. That'll be easy to find, considering no one even knew this thing existed," Kenji says.

"Maybe the medical supply station has something?" Ben suggests with a hiss. I make a quiet apology, lightening my grip on his shoulder. The blood is slowly starting to finish flowing, drying onto the rag. I can only hope his wound heals on its own the rest of the way.

"Doubt it."

"Kenji's right. The Scorpius Rex wasn't supposed to ever get out."

That's when it hits me.

The video showed almost an instant reaction from those around the attacked Wu. They'd have to have had the antidote right on them or-

"Wait, on the videos we watched, Dr. Wu was attacked and given this red serum. I don't doubt it's the antivenom, and if it was where he was attacked at that lab-"

"Then that's where it would be."

Yaz runs up to me and grasps my shoulder.

"Where is this lab?"

Brooklyn approaches and hands her a map.

"Near the raptor paddock."

The track star stares at the map for a few moments, before her face hardens and she hands the map back.

"Take care of Sammy until I get back."

She starts to run, but I get up and grab her before she can go far.