Ch. 54: Reuniting

"We gotta warn the others."

No shit, Sherlock!

"C'mon," I say instead. I pick my bow up again and start running. I'm not even really sure where I'm going...

When I see a familiar round shape in the distance upon joining the Earth once again, I can't help but feel pure and utter joy rush through me.

"You guys got a-" I start, at the same time Brooklyn cries, "I don't think that's where we parked!"

Just then, the ground starts to rumble. My eyes tear away from the gyrosphere just in time to see a heard of panicked dinosaurs coming through the edge of the jungle. Immediate chaos began.

{}{}{}{}

We were running.

He was suddenly there, suddenly, unexpectedly there. Brooklyn and Sammy ran into him and they all fell over, leaving me tripping backward in surprise at his sudden appearance.

"Darius! Oh my gosh!"

I didn't exactly know what to do, so I quietly slipped back behind a tree and watched them all come back to their senses and to their feet.

I can't pay attention to what they're all saying.

Darius.

He looked just like he did when we lost each other.

Except...sadder, in more distress. His shoulders were tense and his eyes were duller than I remember. They're dark, chocolate color was lighter in a hallow kind of way. A way that isn't good, that doesn't give you butterflies in your stomach when you see them. They make your chest hurt and your face soften. They give you a sense of guilt and the need to comfort and hold that person.

I want to do just that.

"We-We found the lab Dr. Wu was using to make the Indominous Rex," Sammy was explaining. "And...other hybrid dinosaurs."

"There's more than one hybrid?"

His voice.

I missed it so much!

"Yes, and- wait. We found something else — or someone else."

That's my queue.

I take a step out. I walk into his view.

And then I'm tackled to the ground.

"Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God! Blake, it's you, it's really you!"

We're hugging. Hugging and crying and just...laying there.

I'm in his arms. He's in my arms.

Why does this feel so right?

{}{}{}{}

Despite there being rain by the time we reached the treehouse, it didn't deter the feeling of joy that flooded me when I saw it again.

There were a few strange changes made to the base, such as a fence surrounding it that hadn't been there before, but I decided that now wasn't the right time to ask questions. We were more concerned on the oncoming storm, which was getting worse by the second.

"We're here!" I shout, almost forgetting that the rest of the group didn't even know I was back. "What can we do to help?"

Darius had explained briefly about their plan to leave the island as soon as I was found. It definitely wasn't an unwelcome surprise in the least, and in fact kind of sweet that they weren't going to leave until they had me, but with how bad the storm was getting, I wasn't sure we'd be able to get on the boat without falling in the water. Barrels were being rolled and dropped, full of water. Bags were being unloaded from the place also.