Ch. 8: Emotions And Turmoil

To my surprise, I woke up.

I wasn't dead, I was alive.

But was everyone else?

When I sat up, I immediately yelped at the soreness in my back; the impact probably hadn't been good on my insides. At least it didn't feel like I broke my arms or legs, though!

"Is everyone okay?"

I look beside me to see Ben groaning and sitting up, while all around everyone was doing the same. Yaz helped Sammy to her feet, Kon climbed down from a tree, Darius struggled to stand, and me and Ben helped each other up. Brooklyn looked around, face covered in dirt and cuts. Everyone was covered in dirt and cuts.

"What...what was that thing?"

There was a loud roar, causing Ben to cower into my side. "It's coming!"

"Shh! It could be anywhere."

I look around, only seeing trees and greenery around me as well as broken pieces of the zip line. Where had the tower been? Where are we now? What's happening!

Too many questions, not enough time.

"The observation tower was that way!" Brooklyn pointed, before pulling her finger down. "Or...was it that way?"

Nobody knew where we were. Not good.

While Darius started freaking out over his lost necklace, and Sammy was looking conflicted over something, I checked Ben out to make sure he was okay. Only a few bruises littered his stomach, while there was a small cut covering a small portion of his hair red. Besides that, he seemed okay; as long as I didn't tell him he was bleeding, he'd stay that way.

"Okay, now let me check you."

I nodded, knowing he'd find something on my back due to the throbbing pain resonating there, but before he could, a loud roar echoed through the jungle.

We all screamed and huddled together, Ben latching onto my arm again. There was another roar, which was loud enough the shake the ground and send a jolt of pain up by spine and through my back. I winced, then felt myself nearly fall forward.

Nobody seemed to notice — of course not, I'm never noticed — and suddenly started running in a random direction.

Ben pulled my arm and brought me along, forcing me to run through the pain in my back.

"Everything will be fine when we get back to camp!" Darius shouted, though I wasn't so sure.

What if Dave and Roxy were there and worried sick about us? What if they were still gone, or worse? Many things could be going wrong right now without our knowledge, and we could find out too late!

We all leapt over a log and splashed through occasional puddles, not allowing ourselves time to rest. This wasn't very good for me, nor my back, because I've never run for so long as a minute straight, let alone ten! But I had to put the aching in my legs and back aside, because I'd rather push myself through that than allow myself to get eaten by an extinct monster.

As we kept running, I saw something coming up through the trees.

Please be the camp, please be the camp!

When we exited the tree line, we saw that is was indeed the camp.

But...it was destroyed!

The whole elevator portion of the building, along with the main floor, had collapsed. The top cabin had been half destroyed, evidence of something tearing through it left behind along with giant footprints and scratch marks.