Ch. 12: Too Much Water For One Day

We all found the main room where the kayaks were, and clipped on the yellow life jackets hanging on the far wall. Unfortunately, there wasn't exactly any made for toddler-sized ankylosauruses, so we'd just have to hold on to Bumpy.

"Brooklyn and I call the CKK!" Kon shouted.

"CKK?" The girl questioned.

"The Cool Kids Kayak."

Brooklyn scoffed. "Yeah...I think I'll pass."

"Okay, but you're missing out!" Kon snarked, getting into his boat. While he did, Ben and Bumpy hopped into a kayak. I was about to join, before Yas suddenly jumped in before I could.

"Hey, I-"

"Don't have a kayak?" Brooklyn approached me. I watched her suspiciously. "C'mon, you can join me."

Hesitantly, I follow her to another kayak and sit in front of her. Darius and Sammy hop into another, while Kon is left alone in his own.

"Wow, guys, guess that means I'm the only cool kid here."

We all ignore him and start paddling, entering the cavern ahead.

It was a beautiful shade of blue inside, contrasting the boring maroon look in the main cave. It felt nice and cool, unlike how the jungle had been hot and humid. It was hardly my main focus, though, as I was still trying to process Brooklyn inviting me to ride with her.

Ben and Yaz's kayack bumped with Kon's, and Yasmina shouted at him.

"CKK has the right away! Sorry, I don't make the rules."

I rolled my eyes, and Brooklyn gasped behind me.

"Look, the cave's getting bigger! And...brighter?"

Everyone gasped as we entered a large portion of the cave, where an underground waterfall surrounded by thousands of gorgeous bright neon lights ran from it's walls. The purple lights lit up the entirety of the room, sparkling and making everything glow in a magical aura. It made all of the events of the past hours kind of worth it!

"Even with all this glowy stuff, it's really dark in here." Kon commented. I snickered when I saw he was wearing dark sunglasses over his eyes. "Um...your glasses might not be helping."

He pulls them off and gasps, before sliding them back on over his eyes.

"I could have used my phone as a flashlight if Sammy hadn't broken it! Of course, if we had my phone, we wouldn't be here at all." Brooklyn scoffs.

I feel my fists clenched on my paddle and turn to stare Brooklyn down.

"Can you seriously not ruin the mood right now?" I tisk.

Brooklyn scoffs again. "Seriously? You're acting as if this doesn't affect you too. We're here because of her!"

"You don't know that, Brooklyn..."

"Why aren't you taking my side on this? I saved your life!"

"And that's why? Because you just wanted to have someone to back you up when people prove you wrong or have a different opinion than you? That's pretty unfortunate, especially since you hate me."

Brooklyn sighs, the irritated mood melting into something different. I didn't recognize it, and I wasn't sure I wanted to know what exactly the mood was.

"I...Blake, I don't hate you. I don't have any reason to."

I'm a little surprised, but my defensiveness kicks in and I'm unable to keep from arguing.