Chapter 25: Calm Before the Storm

==========

Y/n slowly opened up his eyes and was met with the open blue sky. He groaned as he sat up taking in his surroundings, noticing a pink-haired girl sleeping on his lap.

Y/n smiled as he patted her head as she snuggled further into his lap.

"Having fun?" Y/n turned around to see Kia standing there.

"I don't see your point of this being fun but sure." Y/n said. "Anyways what are you doing here?"

"It's soon time." Kia reminded him.

"Ah, right." Y/n said as he nudged Zero Two, prompting her to wake up. "Wake up Zero Two, we gotta head back to the others.

"Nhgn... five more minutes..." She muttered.

"..." Y/n looked at Kia for help.

Kia sighed. "You're on your own brother."

"Bruh?"

==========

Y/n looked out into the sea, taking in the scenery before hell was about to let loose the very next day.

He sighed before pulling out a picture stored in his pocket. It was a picture of his adoptive parents also on a beach, a happy family that he wished he had.

"I wonder if this is the right choice..." Y/n muttered.

"Thinking about them again Pilo?" BT asked.

"Yeah..." Y/n then sat up before jumping down on the ground beside BT. "But I can't change anything about it."

He looked to where Squad 13 was. Currently, they were in an abandoned house near the beach, waiting for the Militia to extract them in a couple of days.

Y/n looked at his supplies. The trusty Wingman, the Smart-pistol, and the Carbine.

"About three reserve mags for the Smart-pistol... I gotta conserve my ammo." Y/n muttered before checking on the other two guns.

Four cylinders of ammo for the Wingman while three mags for the Carbine was the amount Y/n counted. Two arc stars and grenades. Even with this amount of ammo, he was sure he wasn't gonna be able to kill everything before he ran out.

"I'm gonna have to go for the close kill..." Y/n muttered. "BT probably has enough to kill all those FRANXX."

"Hey, Y/n!" Ichigo called out for him. 

"Yeah?"

"Can we talk?"

"Sure give me a minute!"

After some time Y/n finished counting everything before he and Ichigo began walking on the beach.

"So what do you want to talk about?" Y/n asked her.

"Well... I was wondering what we should do after all of this."

"After this?" Y/N asked. "I already told you, you guys can do whatever you guys want, go and do your hobbies, get a family and be happy."

"Well, what about you then?" Ichigo asked.

"Me?" Y/n questioned.

"Yeah, what do you want to do after all of this is over?"

"... I'm not sure myself." Y/n said. "I'm thinking about retiring a bit earlier when I'm around 40 or 50 years old. Being a soldier almost your entire life is hard. Especially when you're one of the best."

They continued in silence, walking on the shore while the sounds of waves floated onto the beach before that silence was broken by Y/n.

"Ichigo."

"Yeah?"

"As you might know, I will be gone tomorrow and I want you to do something while I'm gone."

"What is it?" She asked.

"I want you to take care of the squad like they're your family. During my time here I've seen that you guys are like family, you guys care about each other. I on the other hand is just someone that came out of the blue."

"Don't say that Y/n." Ichigo said. "You're also one of the family now."

"..." Y/n looked forward. "You never know, I might be gone the next day."

"Then promise me something." Ichigo turned toward him. "Promise me that you will come back."

She held out her pinky finger, Y/n just staring at it before chuckling. "Seriously, with the pinky?"

"Y-Yes!" She blushed. "Promise me that you'll return to us once all of this is over."

Y/n sighed before smiling. "Alright, I promise."

"Pinky promise?"

"Pinky promise."

==========

Their fingers held each other as the promise was sealed... but alas, behind Y/n's back were Y/n's fingers crossed.

==========

A/N: Small chapter. I don't know how to continue this chapter.

-Lenny out