Chapter 12: Partner Shuffle

=========================================

"How boring... Being assigned to protect..." Zero Two muttered.

"You get used to these kinds of things on the battlefield." Y/n said, spinning his upgraded Wingman. 

"I'm dying of this stench..." Strelizia said.

"Well lucky me, I have a filter." Y/n said, holstering his Wingman. "Besides, there'll probably be some klaxosaurs that will get attracted to this."

ALERT: KLAXOSAURS INCOMING

"Speak of the devil." Y/n jumped down from Strelizia, BT catching him.

"BT, let me spectate this." Y/n said.

"Rodger that." BT put Y/n on top of him as they watched Squad 13 eliminate the klaxosaurs.

As the battle was about to begin Chlorophytum shut down, worrying them.

"Hey BT, throw me to the would ya?" Y/n said.

BT grabbed him, and adjusted the throw.

"Wind: 2 knots, heading 52 meters, projectile mass: 88 kilograms." BT looked at me. "Trust me."

"BT, you know you don't have to say that everytime-" BT cut Y/n off by throwing him.

=========================================

"Partner shuffle?" The squad asked. 

"This isn't an order. It's simply an option available to you." Nana explained. "Take this chance to talk it out with your partners, and if anyone wants to try the shuffle, ask." 

"Welp, leave me out of this one." Y/n said. "I already have a partner for life."

"I'm jealous..." Zero Two said. "Can't you and me switch robots?"

"Nope, even if I would, I can't. You need a Neural Link which needs to be confirmed by my higherups." 

"Aw... how boring." Y/n pouted.

Y/n chuckled. "Don't worry, you'll still be my friend." He patted her head.

"Thanks... Darling." Zero Two gained a faint smile.

=========================================

"So, is there anyone who wants to try riding with a different partner?" Nana asked.

Ikuno raised her arm. "Let me try a pistil-to-pistil connection, please." 

"Pistil-to-pistil? But..." Nana was a bit confused.

"I want to try it out as a backup plan for emergencies when we've lost a stamen." Ikuno turned towards Ichigo. "Would you help me, Ichigo?"

"Huh? Me?" She asked. 

"Please."

"U-Um, sure, I guess." Ichigo agreed. 

"Very well. Let's try it." Nana said. "Anyone else?"

Kokoro raised her arm. 

"Let me try riding with Mitsuru

"Let me try riding with Mitsuru."

The squad was surprised, especially Futoshi.

"W-What?! But, Kokoro... Y-You promised..."

"I'm sorry, Futoshi." Kokoro apologized.

Tears began to escape his eyes as his heart felt like shattered glass.

=========================================

"W-Why...? Did I do something wrong?" Futoshi cried into his pillow. "I tried my hardest for Kokoro's sake!"

"Maybe that got on her nerves. Also, lose some weight." Zorome said.

"Dude, calm down a bit." Y/n said. "He might be emotionally unstable." 

"... Alright." Zorome said.

"But I wonder what Kokoro was thinking." Goro said.

"She's probably too nice that she switched partners with Mitsuru." Y/n said. 

"Especially now when he's so miserable." Zorome said. 

Futoshi rushed towards him, grabbing his collar. "I'm clearly the most miserable one here!" 

"Dude, calm down!" Y/n tried to talk it down as the doors opened, revealing Mitsuru.

He was about to leave before Futoshi called out. "Wait! Do you think I'm pathetic?"

"H-Hey, Futoshi." Goro tried to calm him down. 

"What does it matter who our partners are?" Mitsuru said. 

Futoshi's rage boiled as he ran towards him. "Like you'd have any idea how I feel!"

Mitsuru sidestepped as Futoshi missed his hit, crashing into the wall. 

"What a pain..." Mitsuru walked away 

"Oi, Mitsuru." Y/n stopped him. "At least try to know what he feels when he switched partners."

Mitsuru glared back. "What gives you the right to say that?"

"It was bound to fucking happen, and nothing could've stopped it." Y/n said. "Just because with my strength I couldn't keep a promise, get over it. This is not the kindergarten." 

"Tch..." He walked away.

Y/n looked down at Futoshi before he patted his back. "It'll get better."

"...Whenever I think about Kokoro, I feel this tightness in my chest." Futoshi sobbed. "But now that tightness hurts..."

Y/n patted his back. "It's bound to happen when you lose someone special to you. Trust me, I had to go through multiple ones."

"Is there a way to get rid of it?" Futoshi asked.

"Perhaps." Y/n said. "You'll live with this feeling until you move on which is difficult, even I have the feeling sometimes."

"W-Who did you lose?"

"... Personal." Y/n stood up. "Anyways, you should take with the other boys and hopefully get you back on the right tracks."

"T-Thank you, Y/n."

"Don't worry about it." Y/n helped him up. "It'll get better, I promise."

=========================================

A/N: A lot shorter cause it's more focused on Mitsuru and Kokoro.

Next Chapter: ???

-Lenny out