Heartbeat Goes Up and Down

Alex's Perspective

"Yes of course big brother" she cooed at me.

I smiled.

Girl, I'm not even close to the big brother stage, I thought.

A shiver went up my spine as she started laughing more. Then, she did something that I never thought she would ever do in her life.

She kissed my cheek.

Then, she shut her door and went back to her house. I swallowed hard and set a hand on the cheek. My heart felt as if it was going to explode from my chest.

"S-Shit..." I cursed. I haven't felt like this since... the last time I saw Lucy, actually. I sighed heavily and shook my head. "No. Stop it Alex. You have a girlfriend, and plus she's now taken! You need to get over the past and look towards the future" I muttered to myself and I shifted the car into drive.

Later that night, I was lying on my bed, thinking of all the memories I had with Lucy. I couldn't sleep, knowing she would be going out with one of my best friends later today.

Hours dragged on until Richard asked if he could borrow my car.

I sighed and nodded, handing him the keys.

"Just... Promise me you won't lay a finger on her" I told him. He laughed and shook his head. "Chill dude; I don't roll like that plus she even told me she doesn't like to be rushed on the first date and the way she handled James? I'm scared anyways" he winked and took the keys.

"We'll be here around maybe 10ish" he smiled and headed out the door.

Then the long wait started.

I paced back and forth in the living room, wondering all the possibilities of what might happen. None of them were pretty.

"Alex! Relax! You're acting as if you were Lucy's dad instead of friend" Daniel told me. I looked at him to blurt out something before I shut it quickly.

"Yeah dude! Chill! I'm pretty sure James won't show up anymore and plus both of them can take care of themselves." Jacob sat on one of the couches and turned on the TV.

I nodded; making it look like that's what I was worried about.

"Y-Yeah you're right... I should just chill" I smiled and sat down, secretly wishing they would just get here already.