How To Be a Good Friend

O1. BE HONEST
A dishonest person has no chance of having true friends because it's hard to rely or trust a person who doesn't behave in a supportive or trustworthy way. Keep your promises, do what you say you are going to do, and most importantly––don't lie! Lying happens in those moments when you say "Okay, I will..." but you never do what you promised. Eventually people will figure you out and realize that you don't do what you say you will. If you've found yourself lying about doing things then stop doing it. If you can't do something, explain and trust that the friendship is strong enough for the no's as well as the yes'. And start doing the things when you say that you will do something. Don't tell other people their secrets!

02. SHARE
Being selfless is an important part of being a good friend. Be there when you're needed and go the extra mile if it's going to make a big difference for your friend.

O3. PITCH IN FOR FRIENDS DURING TIMES OF CRISIS
If your friend has to go to the hospital, you could help pack his or her bags; if her/his dog runs away, help to find it, if he/she needs someone to pick him/her up, be there. Take notes for your friend in school and give homework assignments when you know that one is absent and sick at home. Send cards and care packages. If there is a death in his/her family, you might want to attend the funeral – or cook and take a dish or a meal over to your friend.

04. STEP BACK AND GIVE YOUR FRIEND SPACE
Understand if your friend wants to be alone or to hang out with other people. Allow it to happen. There's no need to become clingy or needy. Friendship doesn't require that you always have to be paired together. Allowing one another the time to hang with other friends gives you much-needed breathing room, and allows you to come together fresh and appreciating each other even more.

05. DON'T BE SELFISH
Grabbing, stealing, envying and/or begging are big nos in the rules of friendship. The friend will soon get tired of this and eventually move toward more selfless people who are willing to give the same as one gets, but a good friend will not demand it.

06. BE FORGIVING WHEN THINGS GO WRONG IN YOUR FRIENDSHIP.
Hate the act, not the person. If your friend has done something wrong, don't judge them too harshly. If you really are a good friend, you'll never take anything against him/her. Everything can be talked about, anyway.

07. BE TRUSTWORTHY
Keep secrets, never break a promise, and let them know you care. If you don't think you can keep their secret, don't let them tell you, resist the temptation. Also, let them know you care by giving actions of love. If you are away, send them nice letters that mean a lot to both of you. If someone is bothering them and you know it, stand up for them! It is your job to watch out for them, as if you want them to watch out for you, and hopefully they do. Be a good guest at their house and realize that if/when you are truly best friends, their family is family, and her/his house is home to you.