Chapter thirty two

Sleeping had been hard. I was tired, like really tired, but i couldn't sleep more than three hours at most. The excitement of what would happened next was eating me alive.

I was about to leave early when i felt something grab my hand. Turning around, i saw Jessy, still more than half asleep.

I giggle. "What are you doing up ? You're still sleeping."

"Where'you going ?"

"I told you, i have to meet Alan. Don't worry, i'll come back soon. Go back to sleep Jessy." I patted her head with affection. She simply hummed and got back into her bedroom. I heard the door closed before i left the apartment for good now. I straddled my bike, taking my phone out.

>Me
Hey, i'm heading to the Blackwater Lake, just so you know."

I had high hope that he would be awake. He probably didn't really get any sleep too. Because he responded to me quickly.

>Jake
Alright. I will do my best to come quickly.

>Me
Please be careful. I'll wait as long as you need. No need to worry about me.

>Jake
Of course i'll worry about you Judith. I'll be there in a few. I promise.

I smile at my phone, starting my bike.

>Me
Alright. See you there.

I didn't actually know where Jake was staying. And i wouldn't ask him if he didn't tell me. If he never mentioned it, it could be for safety. And i would never put his life in danger.

I was sitting near a tree for about fifteen minutes when i heard a noise. Turning around, i smiled when i recognized Jake's covered face. He didn't have his balaclava anymore, which wasn't surprising because it would be far too obvious to wear that in public. He just had a black medical mask.

"Hello Judith."

I couldn't see his face, but i could hear a smile in his voice. I smiled too. "Hello Jake. It's good to see you again."

Seeing him again felt like all of this was far more real. I knew i had seen him not even two days ago, but now, i could be a hundred percent sure that all of this was real.

"It's good to see you too. Would it be okay if we talked about what's going to happen ?"

"Sure. It's what we're here for. Should i stand up or ?"

"I'm okay with sitting down." He said, doing as he told.

I slowly took his hand in mine before talking. "I didn't call Alan. I thought i could do it with you here."

"I'm not against the idea. Like this i'll be able to hear what he says." He nodded his head while absentmindedly stroking my hand. "Should we call him now ?"

"Could we stay a minute like this first ? I want to enjoy your presence." I say, looking at him in the eyes. He just respond to me by a nod of the head.

I silently moved a bit closer to him, letting my cheek rest on his shoulder. I sigh, feeling calm for the first time in forever. Everything seemed to come crashing on me and i never felt so tired in my life. I felt my eyes drop but made sure to not fall asleep.

"Am i comfortable ?"

"You have no idea. I could probably fall asleep like this."

"Did you not sleep well ?"

I shook my head. "I was anxious about today. I don't think Alan is trapping you but i still feel anxious most of the time. Which keeps me awake. I probably didn't have a full night of sleep since the day i was contacted by Thomas." I admitted after some times.

"I could see him by myself you know ? It wouldn't be the first time that i have to talk with a police officer."

"No, of course i'll come with you." I took out my phone. "I wouldn't be able to stay in place if i had to wait much longer. Should i call now ?"

"If you are ready, then yes, please start the call."

I agreed and took the time to find Alan's number. Not that i needed much time to do that. Typing on it and then putting the speaker, i waited for him to answer.

"Yes ? What do you want now ?"

I would laugh because Jake was looking at my phone like he wanted to fight with it, but i had to stay calm for the sake of the conversation.

"Hello to you too Alan, unfortunately for us, i did not call to annoy you this time."

"That's a good change at least. So ?"

"Are you alone ? And when i mean alone, it means as alone as the last dodo bird on his island when he understood that he was the last one of his kind."

Jake looked at me as i finished my sentence. He turned his head slightly to the side, repressing a chuckle.

"You sure do have some special expression. But yes, i am as alone as this bird. Whatever does that mean."

"Great. He's with me."

"Who ?"

"Santa Claus. Alan, what the hell ? We've been talking about that all the time ?"

"Well sorry but i do have work besides your phone calls. But yes, now i understood. Can't he talk ?"

"I most certainly can."

His voice scared me because i wasn't expecting Jake to really talk to Alan now.

"Hello."

"Hello chief Bloomgate."

Okayy, that's tense. Maybe i should have do the talking a bit more.

"Would it be possible to meet somewhere that's not the police station ? That would be great for the three of us."

"Do you have a spot ?"

I heard him stood up. I looked at Jake who seemed to be thinking about something. He suddenly looked at me.

"Do you remember the wasteland where you first worked with Lilly ?"

"Yes ?"

"It's not that convenient, but like i said, it's a wasteland. We could go there, park a car and talk there. Admittedly, it's not the best, but we should avoid being seen in complete public. Or the forest is a solution too. The two are similar."

"Let's go to the wasteland you were saying. The forest could still be a spot where the FBI could still be looking for you."

"Alright. I'll send you the location."

I hang up and look at Jake. "Are you sure you're okay with doing this ?"

"I'm sure Judith. Do not worry. Everything will be okay."