Chapter Seventeen

"Why are you calling again ? Do you know that i have to work some times ?" Alan said, irritated.

"I wouldn't have to keep calling if you answered all my questions at once. Plus, you were the one to harass me so i would talk to you."

"What do you want now ?" He sighed, and i heard a sound that sounded like he had rolled back on a chair with wheels.

"Do you have any idea about why they're keeping Phil Hawkins in jail ? He was suspected for Hannah's disappearance ans Amy's death. But has you understood, he was not guilty. So ?"

"Well, they actually shouldn't keep him. The case was close as it was supposed that it had been Richy Rogers who was behind it all."

I didn't ask how they came at that conclusion, but it was easy to understand. "So you're letting him go ?"

"He's not at the police station. All i can do is call the place where he's locked up." He said, probably typing something on his computer. I could hear clicking sound. "Right, i'll call them after our call. Happy ?"

"Yes. Thank you. He better be set free." Because Jessy wouldn't bear it.

"He will. Can i work now ? You're giving me a headache."

"That's the second one already. I'll buy you ibuprofen."

"You shouldn't talk like that to a police officer."

"Yeah, yeah, sorry. I'll let you work. Bye."

I didn't let him talk anymore, ending the phone call. Good. Now Jessy.

I left my bedroom, going down the stairs faster than i should.

"Jessy, good news !"

"What ? Why ?"

"I talked with Alan, he's contacting the jail to set Phil free."

"Yes ! Thank you Judith !"

She jumped inside my arms, jumping up and down like an overexcited little girl. I was happy for her too, of course.

"My brother is coming home !"

"I know, i know !" I tried to calm her, but she was just so happy that i couldn't really do much. I just hoped that their relationship would grow better.

"I'm so happy ! Is he going to call back ?" She asked, taking my hands in hers.

I tighten my grip. "I don't know. Probably. Or i'll cause him a third headache."

She laughed and hugged me one more time. I was happy that she could be happy with just that.

But like we say, happiness doesn't last long.

It was past six in the afternoon when Jessy's phone, rang. She stood from the couch, going into the kitchen where she had left it. I looked at her from my spot on the couch, a pillow pressed to my chest.

She furrowed her eyebrows at first and i could see her swallow before picking it up. "Hello ?"

I couldn't hear what the person was saying. I didn't even know who it was. But it didn't seem like happy news.

"Of course i'll come. Could you give me the time ? I'll pass the info to my friends." She stuttered at the end of her sentence. She quickly noted something on a piece of paper that was laying on the kitchen counter before turning to me again.

Her eyes were glassy and her bottom lip shook.

Oh.

"Alright, thank you for calling. See you there." She hung up and let her phone nearly drop on the kitchen table. Jessy silently walked back to the couch, taking her pillow in hands before sitting down.