Chapter Twenty Nine

I got home by eight. Well, i got to Duskwood a little before that. I simply choose to buy some croissant and coffee before going home. Like that, if Jessy is already up, i would have an excuse for me to be up and gone this early. Not that i slept at all. But with me being tired already, it didn't change anything on my face and i would not be in trouble if Jessy says that i look tired.

I opened the door with my set of keys and entered the apartment. Thankfully, Jessy didn't seem to be up. I quickly left the croissant and coffee on the table and quietly made my way into my room. I changed my clothes and made my way back downstairs. I had to act like nothing happened. Which would be difficult. I took my coffee cup and reached for a croissant in the paper bag.

"You're already up ?"

I turn around to see Jessy yawning, rubbing her fist against one of her eye. She looked like she woke up just now. Good.

"Yep. I got in town and picked up breakfast. Well, just coffee and croissant." I raised my hand to show her.

"Oh, thank you Judith."

"You're welcome." I smiled and walked to the couch. Jessy was always the quietest when she just woke up. She would stay like that for at least fifteen minutes, until she fully wakes up.

"Did you slept good ?" I ask her when she followed me to the couch, sitting besides me. I took a bite of my croissant waiting for her to answer.

"I did, thanks. What about you ?"

"I had a good night, yes."

I couldn't tell her that i slept well if i hadn't slept at all. But by saying that i had a good night, i wasn't lying. I actually had a really good night. Just not by sleeping.

"Would it be alright with you if i spent some times in town today ?"

"Alone ?"

"Yeah. It came to my mind that i never really spent time in the town itself. I kind of want to discover it by myself."

"Sure. I'll just spend time with Cleo. She wanted to help her mom. I'll lend a hand too." Jessy smiled, finishing her croissant.

Good.

"Alright. I'll get going now if you don't mind ?"

"Sure go ahead." She smiled, still half asleep. "I'll just hang out a few minutes here and call Cleo."

I nodded my head, finishing my own croissant, and stood up. It made me uncomfortable, lying to Jessy about last night and what i would be doing now, but i wanted to have a talk with Alan before mentioning Jake to the group.

That's why i was here now. I rode my bike to the town center before stopping and pulling out my phone. I hadn't wanted Jessy to see me on the phone in case she would ask me who was on the phone.

>Me
Could we meet up ? Outside of your office if possible.

I waited a few second to see if he would respond, quickly understanding that he would not. I sigh before looking around. There wasn't that much open at eight and a half in the morning. Just a few bars and cafe, and i had already had breakfast, i wasn't hungry anymore. Thankfully Alan answered.

>Alan
Why ?

>Me
I want to have a talk about something. And i do not want others interfering.

>Alan
What is it about ?

>Me
I'll tell you if we can meet up.

>Alan
You sound like a little kid. But fine. Meet me at the Blackwater Lake. I gather you know where that is ?

>Me
Sure. See you there.

I actually didn't know the road to go there, but it shouldn't be that hard to figure out. I still had the map that Jake put on my phone so i should be able to figure it out.

And like i said, with the town being so small and with the help of my phone, fifteen minutes later, i was at the lake. Alan didn't seem to be there. Not that i minded waiting for him.

Leaving my helmet on my bike, i walked closer to the lake, sitting down on the grass. Jessy had been right, the spot was beautiful. I could hear the water move and the birds singing. I liked the sound of it.

And for a moment, i imagined what it would be like if Jake could be here next to me. I could be anywhere with him and i would be happy, but imagining having a small picnic on a sunny day, without any care in the world ? It was what would make me happy. To be able to spend time like this with him. And suddenly, i hoped that Alan would be on our side and would help Jake.

"Enjoying the lake ?"

I let my head roll back, looking at Alan that i could see upside down due to my position. He wasn't wearing his police jacket.

"I do. The lake is really pretty."

"Well, it is one of the few things that the people in Duskwood really enjoy."

"I can see why."

I stood up, patting my behind to clean any dust i could have gathered when i sat down. Alan looked at me, waiting for me to finish.

"Well ? What did you want to talk about ?"

"Still no microphone ?" I raised an eyebrow jokingly.

"Of course not. We rarely ever use them anyway. Can i have an answer now please ?"

Here goes nothing.

"Do you have a good relationship with the government ?" I watch him cross his arms. That could indicate that he was tensing up.

"What do you mean ?"

"Well, i suddenly remembered that you said the government wasn't all white. It must mean that there is something going on that tarnished their image. Am i wrong ?" I would be lying if i said i wasn't feeling confident. With his reactions, i was now ninety nine percent sure that there would be a possibility that he was aware of their doing. Or at least an idea of it.

"What do you want Judith ?"

Bingo.

"Before that, i want to know if you did some finding on that. Else, i won't say anything much on that."

"What am i gaining in that ?"

"Everything. You know me. You know i will have something that interest you."

"Very well. I know that they are doing some illegal businesses. Not that i'm surprised. But i do not know what. I actually don't have that much on them."

"What do you have ?"

Alan eyed me suspiciously before raising a hand to his face. "They are getting money from things they shouldn't be. Like you probably know, only that could bring them ten years of imprisonment. But it's not enough to trap them."

"I have something for you then."

"What is it ?"

"Information on the illegal undergrounds of the government."

He looked at me without speaking for some time. I never broke contact with his eyes. I wasn't scared of him. Not anymore.

"What's the catch ?"

"There's no catch. Only a deal to make. The information in exchange of freedom. What do you think ?"