Chapter 28

“Jeff?”

Jenny immediately turns back. Jacob stares at the gravestone in shock. She is in shock. How did he even get here?! He wasn't supposed to know!! Her heartbeat speeds up. She forgets to breathe. Her mind is in a frenzy. Why? Because she's now worried that Jacob will start thinking she's weird and that she hangs out with spirits. He might even start avoiding her. He'll tell Ava. He'll tell everyone that he is friends with spirits. He'll start thinking she's possessed or she's a follower of the devil. She was afraid that he'll start teasing her and bullying her like everyone else. She was so scared.

All because Jacob found out her secret.

He wasn't supposed to.

He was never supposed to find out.

She was so lost in her thoughts that she didn't notice when Jacob was right in front of her. She didn't realise she was shaking and crying until he cupped her face and wiped her tears. She blinked.

Once.

Twice.

Her eyes widen.

And she does what she does best.

She runs away, leaving Jacob in a state of confusion.

_______

Jacob sits down in front of the gravestone.

*Jeff died two years ago?!*

He was shocked. So was he talking to spirits for so long? He was talking to ghosts?! Was Jenny a ghost? Did they all come to haunt him? Did he do something wrong? Was it something he did in his past life that they're here to take revenge? And why did Jenny run away?

He saw the fear and panic in his eyes the moment she saw him. And then it was as if something took over her, because she looked so scared and she probably started overthinking. Suddenly she started to cry and she didn't even realise it. He immediately goes to her and cups pher face, wiping her tears away. He didn't want to see her cry. He hated to see her cry. He wanted to kiss and tell her that everything is alright when she suddenly snaps and runs away.

What exactly is she hiding from him? He now was sure that she isn't seeing anyone else but there's something else. Something that might surprise him. He's going to get his answers.

________

Jeff and Jasper look down at the scene that has just unfolded.

“Jenny was probably shocked and she panicked.”

“Yeah.”

“Do you think that she's going to tell him?”

“She will have to Jeff. Look at Jacob. He's determined to know all of it. It won't be long till he gets to know.”

“You think he'll avoid her from now on?”

“I don't think so…man's too down for her to back off…” Jasper laughs as they look at Jacob planting the daisies next to the older ones that Jenny had previously planted.

“Hey Jas? Did we plant roses behind my stone?”

“No. Why?”

“Look.” Jeff points to the small patch of roses behind the gravestone.

_________

The sun had set and it was dark now. Jenny looks at her watch. It was seven. Her parents might be home. She sighs. She didn't return to the shop, afraid that Jacob might be there. She didn't want to go back to the graveyard. She didn't want to go home either. So she decided to sit in a park and wait for the day to end.

She was tired from all the crying. She wanted to crawl under her covers in bed and not leave. She didn't want to go to work tomorrow. She didn't want to see Jacob because she knew he'd despise her or be afraid of her. She didn't want to think about it.

She reaches home and opens the front door. Her parents were in the kitchen. She closes the door and heads straight up to her room, not even surprised that they didn't notice.

She takes a shower and changes into comfortable clothes. She lies down as she reaches to grab her bag when she realises.

Her bag was in the shop. She left it when she went to see Jeff. She didn't know that her day would turn out like this…otherwise she would've taken her bag with her.

She suddenly hears her parents argue. Again. She sighs. It sounded worse this time. She didn't want to listen. She didn't have her phone to listen to songs so she couldn't block out the noise as it got louder.

“I WANT A FUCKING DIVORCE! I DON'T LOVE YOU ANYMORE!!”

The house became quiet. Jenny opens her door and walks down the stairs, she sits there and listens to what her dad was going to reply. She wanted to know. Her heart broke at his reply.

“I know. I know you don't love me anymore. I knew it the moment you stopped loving me. I know.”

She didn't know why, but she couldn't sit there anymore. She couldn't stand it when her mother broke down. She couldn't stand to hear her father sob. So she left her house, one place in mind.

********