Chapter 7

The kitchen was clean. No speck of dust at all! It was very clean that it creeped Jenny out.

*This is an abandoned house! Why is the kitchen so clean?! Somebody must live here…..I must leave now!*

*But it won't hurt to check Jen, let's go!* She obeyed the voice and looked at the kitchen, it was painted white…. everything was white with pastel colours here and there. It looked cute.

*I want to cook here! This kitchen is cuter than the one at my house!!*

Smiling, Jenny walked out to the living room...the room gave out an elegant vibe. The paint walls were worn out. But Jenny could tell that it was royal blue. There were old couches and two chairs...but it was dusty. There was a fireplace and a clock that wasn't working above it. The windows were closed and wooden planks nailed to it. But there were little holes that let sunlight in, not making it pitch dark. It was enough for her to see well. But it wasn't clean like the kitchen…

*Now this is weird…..*

She quickly walks out to the hallway. It was the same bright yellow worn out walls she saw on her first day here. The front door was old and cracked but it looked strong. The windows beside it were closed with the wooden planks, but there were holes for one to see clearly outside. The floor was made of wood and it creaked every time Jenny walked. 

Jenny then looked at the stairs.

*Can I go on top?*

*Go.*

*What if someone's on top?! What if they see me and kill me or do something to me?! What will I do? I don't know self defense!*

*Stop being a wuss! No one would be there! If someone lived here, they would have already come down due to the creaking sounds. Now shut up and go!*

Jenny couldn't argue back. She knew her inner voice was right. She slowly walks up the stairs that creaked all the time. She reaches up the first floor and looks at the hallway. There were five doors. And a staircase at the end. Two doors and the stairs at the right and three doors at the left. And a window that isn't blocked by the wooden planks in the middle.

*Wow! Another floor on top? I must go and check that out!* She walks towards the stairs but stops as she looks out the window.

The sky was orange and the Sun was almost setting. She checks her phone. The time was 6:30.

*Oh my! I'm late! I must go home and make dinner! Mom and dad will be home anytime now!* She quickly runs down the stairs and back to the kitchen. She makes sure to close the back door properly and runs back home.

Only when she's halfway home she realises.

*Oh! My parents aren't coming home tonight…..I could have stayed there for some more time!*

She sighs, walking back home. She makes sure she's not seen and safely reaches home. She closed the front door and locks it. Then she sits on the couch and closes her eyes, resting for a bit.

Her phone rings. She looks at it.

Mom. She answers it.

“Hey mom.”

Hi baby! How are you?

“I'm okay ma. What happened? Are you coming home?” She hoped for it.

No, I just called to check dear! Had dinner?  And that hope vanished.

“No, I'm going to start cooking now.”

Okay sweetie! Have fun! Stay safe!..... I'll give the phone to dad.

She hears muffled voices and then her dad speaks. More like instructs.

Jenny darling, stay safe okay? Lock all the doors and windows. And double check it. And make sure to call me if anything happens okay? We'll be home as soon as we can and don't worry, we have the spare key. Take care! And have fun!

“Okay Dad!” Jenny giggles.

She then hears another voice in the background.

Jen we have to go, the meeting will begin soon! Take care!  Mom tells her.

“ Okay! Bye mom! Bye dad!”

Bye sweetheart!

They cut the call.

Jenny sighs, tossing the phone on the couch. She then goes up to her room and changes into a baggy t-shirt and shorts and then washes her face. She then comes back to the kitchen and checks in what to cook for dinner.  She looks at the vegetables and meat in the fridge.

*Shall I cook something nice?*

*No need.*

She closes the fridge and opens the top cabinet and takes out an instant noodles packet.

*Ahhh this is better! And easier and fast. Wait….. let's just take two packets.* She takes out another one.

____

After making the noodles, she carries her bowl to her bedroom and sits on her bed.

*Oh wait! I forgot my phone on the couch!* She gets out of bed, runs down the stairs, picks her phone from the couch.

*Let's take a water bottle.* She takes a bottle from the fridge and goes to her bedroom. She then charges her phone and takes her laptop to the bed.

She opens YouTube and scrolls through it. But she couldn't find anything. So she shuts the laptop and eats her dinner quietly. She then takes her bowl down to the kitchen and washes it. She then comes back on top and drinks her water.

She then picks up her phone and sees a message. She opens it. It is from Ava.

Ava:
Hey dear, I wanted to tell you that work is from 9 to 5. Sleep well! I'll see you tomorrow!❣️

Me:
Okay! Ava! I'll see you tomorrow! Good night!😴

Jenny keeps the phone on the table and gets to bed. She pulls the covers over her and falls asleep, waiting to see her brother and to talk to him again.

*******

Hey everyone!
How are you all?

I have some good news. My exams have been cancelled and so I am free! I will be updating my stories more frequently! I hope so 🙂

Take care and stay safe everyone!

Love you,
Betty 💓