Chapter 2

The front door closes, alerting Jenny.

She got up from her bed, where she was reading and walked downstairs to see her parents enter. She ran and hugged her mom, who hugged her back. 

“What happened to you? Were you crying?” Mom asks her.

“No. I just slept for a while. How was your day mom?”

“It was okay, my dear. I'll go shower now. Prepare the table for dinner.'' She walks into the master bedroom. 

Dad just smiles at her and walks behind his mom. Jenny sighs and arranges the table.

*Whew! That was a close call!*

………….

The three sat and ate their dinner, rice and curry, which Jenny had prepared. They ate in silence, till dad decided to break the silence.

“So how was school Jen?” Dad asked her as he ate his rice.

“It was good.” she lied.

Yes, her parents didn't know about her bullying. 

“Happy that summer vacation starts?” Mom smiles at her.

“Yea! I'm so happy.”

She planned on staying at home, listening to her favourite music and reading. Maybe she would try something new. She was excited.

“Good!”

Mom finished her dinner and excused herself, telling them that she was tired and wanted to sleep. Jenny frowns. Mom never did that. It was unusual.

Dad just sighs.

“Dad? What's wrong?” 

“I don't know dear. Mom always is happy and talkative around others. But not when she's at home with us or when she's with me. I don't know what's happening….”

Jenny stands up and hugs her dad.

“Dad! Everything will be alright! Go and talk to mom.” 

He didn't need to be told twice. He got up and went to the bedroom and shut the door behind him. 

Jenny sighs as she picks up the plates and places them in the sink. She then keeps the leftovers in the fridge and does the dishes. She then goes up to her room. She closes the door behind her and goes to her bathroom. 

She then takes a shower and changes into her pyjamas. She then sits on her bed and opens her phone.

10:00 pm. 

*It's too early to sleep. Let me do something for now.*

She looks around her room and her eyes land on her diary. She walks to her table and picks it up. She looks at it. It was a blue coloured diary with her name engraved on it in silver. She turns the diary and looks at the engraving on the bottom right.

From,

Jeffrey, the best brother you ever will have.

She smiles. He gifted this to her on her fifteenth birthday. The last birthday he was with her. She remembered how they laughed at the description. But yes, he was the best brother she ever will have.

She opens the first page. 

Dear Jen,

Happy Birthday! I hope you have an amazing year ahead! Love you!

I hope you love this gift I give you. You must write all of your experiences and adventures in this diary so that I can read it. And only I must read it. None of your friends will do it. Not even your boyfriend (if you have any.^_^) You will write all of your deepest and darkest secrets and all of your thoughts and emotions. 

I can't wait to see what you write in this! Don't keep me waiting and start from today! 

Love,

Jeff

Tears spill from her eyes as she remembers smacking him on the arm after reading it. She then hugged him and promised to write in it. But she didn't. He had died three weeks after her birthday. In a way she never imagined. 

She shook her head.

*Don't think about that Jen.*

*But it's my fault! If I hadn't let him go, he would have been here! Our family would have been alright! I wouldn't have been bullied!* She cries.

She takes a pen and opens the second page. She begins to write.

Dear Jeff,

Hey, how are you? Is the afterlife treating you well? I hope they are.

I'm sorry I didn't write all these years Jeff. I just couldn't do it. I couldn't find the courage to do it. 

Life is just going on Jeff. I don't know why but it's gloomy every day. After you left, all my friends kept their distance from me, everyone started to bully me. Mom and dad just go to work, come home, eat dinner and go to bed. That's it. We just have a little conversation at the table. 

People in school tell me that I'm worthless and no one cares for me. 

Can I join you Jeff? I don't want to survive anymore. I can't live here without you. I don't want to let you go Jeff. Is there any way that you can come back to me? Or can I take my life Jeff? It'll be better if I join you…

Jen falls asleep while writing her entry. 

Unknown to her, two spirits watched her as she fell asleep on her bed. One with tears flowing down from his cheeks and a greater spirit with a sad frown on his face.

“When will you ever help her Jasper?! I can't bear watching her like this! My sister is suffering. Can't you do something?!” the younger one asks her.

“Wait for a little while Jeffrey. Help is on the way.”

“On the way?! On the way! You've been telling that for two years!! Two years!! How long more?! Can't you just send me to her?” he shouts.

“You're a spirit. Dead! You can't go back to life!” Jasper shouts equally at him.

“But isn't there a way I can help her? Please. She's my sister! I can't see her suffer like this.” he breaks into a cry.

“You can…..but your time is almost up. You have to go! You won't achieve anything within ten days!”

“Ten days? That's all I have left?” he asks in disbelief.

“Unfortunately, yes.”

**********

Hey everyone!

I hope you like this chapter.
Stay tuned!

See you in the next chapter!

Love,
Betty.