Chapter 13

Jasper and Jeffrey sit in front of the lake, in a comfortable silence. Both were thinking hard.

“Jas?”

“Hmm?” He turns to look at the younger one.

“I only have thirteen days left right?” Jeff asks, sadness in his voice.

Jasper nods. He didn't want to think about it. After spending two years with the kid, he had grown attached to him. He didn't want to think about it the time he left. He wanted to spend the last few remaining days happily with him. But Jasper knew that it wasn't possible. They had to solve Jenny's problems first. And things have just become worse. But he knows it'll end. All of this has to end. Sooner or later. It had to.

“Yes.”

Jeff sighs. He has so much on his head. What were his parents up to? Jenny? She wasn't fine. He remembers how she cried in his arms last night. She spent the whole night crying. He knew she didn't let all of her tears out. She didn't. But she cried a lot. She was a mess when she went to work in the morning. A beautiful mess. He knew Jacob saw that. He felt peaceful when he saw Jacob massaging her. They looked cute.

But why is mom doing this to them? Dad didn't know. Jenny found out by mistake. But still. What if dad finds out? He left everything for mom. He left his town and came to the city for mom. He loved her so much. Didn't she see that? What could that guy possibly give mom that dad couldn't?! Who was he? Jeff wanted to know. He looks at Jasper who was looking at the lake, deep in thought.

Jeff knew that Jasper knew. Jasper knows everything. But it's against his rules to tell him the future.

“What are you looking at kid?”

“Who was the last soul you collected?” Jeff asked.

“Hmm…..it was a girl. Yeah….I collected a girl after you. But then you begged to stay. So I was assigned to you. And I haven't collected a soul ever since…...it's been two years..” Jasper laughs.

“Was it because you were assigned to me that you couldn't do your job? Do you hate being stuck with me?”

“No! It's okay. I don't hate being stuck with you.” Jasper looks at him. What's wrong with the kid?? He's had so much fun with Jeffrey. He will never regret the time spent together. He smiles as he ruffles Jeffrey's hair.

“What do we do now?” Jenny sighs as she comes and sits between the two. She gives both of them a side-hug.

“Oh hey Jen.” Jasper hugs her back. They all sit in each other's arms quietly. Thinking, in a comfortable silence. Suddenly Jeffrey snaps his fingers.

“I have an idea!”

Jenny and Jasper look at Jeffery. He smiles at them.

“Jenny. You have to go where they are meeting up. Spy on them.”

“What?! You want me to spy on mom?! Who does that??!”

“Don't you want to know who she's seeing?” Jeff asks her, raising an eyebrow.

“I don't know….Jasper! What do we do?”

“I don't know! You two decide!” He laughs.

“Oh come on! You would definitely have something to tell! Spill!” Jeff exclaims.

“It's family stuff. So you two have to think.”

“You're our family now too! Don't forget that.” Jenny tells him. Jeff nods.

Jasper smiles. No one has called him their family in a long time. He feels moved. The siblings are alike. Both have big hearts. He nods. Jenny and Jeff smile.

“Hmm...I don't know…..the idea of spying sounds so tempting and wrong at the same time!” He exclaims.

“I know right?!” Jenny agrees.

“So spying it is then.” Jeff finishes. Everyone nod in agreement.

“Jenny, they're meeting at xxx cafe on Saturday right?”

“Yes. At 5:15 in the evening.”

Silence engulfs the trio. Jasper just looks at the lake, thinking about random things since he didn't want to break the silence first. Jeffrey, he's thinking about dad. What will happen if he finds out? Will he get angry, will he be heartbroken? He loves mom a lot. He feared for the future. What will it bring? What will happen to them? What will happen to Jenny? Where will she go? Who will she go to? He wanted Jenny to be happy and content when he left. He hoped everything will be alright in thirteen days.

Jenny was angry and upset. How could mom do this? Why? Did she think what will happen if dad gets to know? What if the family is torn apart? What will she do? But more than anything, she asked herself....What happened that mom started seeing another guy? Did something happen between their parents that she didn't know? She will never know…

“When is Saturday?” Jeff asks.

“Tomorrow.”  Jasper replies and Jeff nods.

“I'll be done at 5. So I'll head straight over to the cafe. You guys come there…... wait….how will I know if you guys are with me or not?”

“Don't worry about that. Arrangements will be made for tomorrow.”

“What will you do?” Jenny asks in excitement.

“Wait and watch.” Jasper smiles. Jenny turns and looks at Jeff. He raises his hands up.

“I don't know what he's going to do! I swear!”

Jenny starts laughing. Both the guys join in.

Jeffrey looks at his sister laughing. She looked so happy! He was happy when she was happy. He was thankful for Jasper. He was there for him and Jenny. He suddenly felt hopeful. Maybe things will become better before he leaves. He likes his thought.

*Yeah….things are going to be alright.*

**********

Hey guys!
Hope you like this update!! Take care and stay safe!!

And happy October!!! Have a blessed month!!

See you in the next update!!