Chapter 11

Jenny finishes freshening up and walks down to have dinner. Her parents were already seated. Mom had prepared fried rice. Jenny couldn't eat much so she ate little. The dinner table was silent. Jenny could feel the tension in the air. She gulped. She quickly finishes dinner and washed her plate. She then plops on the couch and turns on the TV. She increases the volume of the news channel. She didn't like the silence. But she was used to it….ever since Jeff died.

*DON'T THINK ABOUT IT JEN!!*

She shakes her head as her mom's phone besides her dings. She looks at it. It's a message. Her eyes widen when she reads the name.

*What wh-what is thi-this?* She gulps. She unlocks the phone. She looks at her parents. They were still having dinner. Both were quiet.

*I shouldn't see the chat.*

*Just check it already.*

*But what if mom finds out?*

*She won't. It's alright. Open it*

She cautiously opens the chat.

Bae:
I'm missing you so much!

Me:
Aw I miss you too❤️❤️

Bae:
Let's meet up! What do you think?

Me:
Sure honey! When shall we meet?

Bae:
Let's meet up this Saturday…. I'll text you the place later!❤️

Me:
Okay!
I have to go prepare dinner now…. Jenny will be home soon…. talk to you later!

Bae:
Okay! Love you!

Me:
Love you too!❤️❤️

-Unread Message-

Bae:
Let's meet at xxx cafe Saturday evening at 5:15!❤️

With shaky hands, Jenny turns off her mom's phone and keeps it on the couch, away from her. Anger surges in her. How could she do that?! How can she betray dad?! He loves her so much! Can't she see that?! From the corner of her eye she sees her mom coming over and immediately grabs her phone and opens YouTube. She clicks on to a random video.

“What happened Jenny? You look pale. Saw something scary?” She takes her phone.

“Yeah…. shouldn't have watched it..” Jenny nervously laughs, trying to cover her anger and hoping her mother doesn't realise that the message has already been read.

Her mom nods as she looks into the phone, a smile on her face. She types on the phone as she walks to the bedroom, not noticing that the message was already read.

“Jen I'm going to sleep. You should do that too.” Dad pats her head as he walks to the bedroom. He suddenly stops and looks at her. He then comes and sits next to her.

“Anything wrong darling? Why are you down?” He cups her cheek. Jenny shakes her head, trying hard to not cry. She almost opened her mouth to tell him everything. But she stopped. She looked at him. He looked so innocent and pure. Dad loved mom more than his children. It would break him if he knew what mom was doing. She didn't want to see her dad break any more. She loved her dad so much that it'd hurt her to see him like that.

“I'm fine dad.” She manages to smile.

“Don't hesitate to tell me anything sweetie. I'm here for you.” He tells her.

“Sure dad.” She pulls him into a hug and sighs, tears threatening to spill out. He quietly pats her back. She then pulls back.

“Go sleep Jen. You have to work tomorrow.” He pats her head as he gets up and walks to the bedroom.

As soon as the door shuts, Jenny lets her tears fall down. She immediately got up and ran to her bedroom. She locks the door, goes to her bathroom and sits on the floor crying.

“Why is everything happening like this?! Why me?? Why must We suffer like this?? Why must dad suffer?!” She asks, sobbing.

Jeffrey and Jasper stand in front of her, tears streaming down the younger one's cheeks. Jasper pulls Jeffrey close to him and pats his back as he sobs.

“Why Jasper? Why?” He cries into the elder's chest.

Jasper couldn't do anything else other than comfort him.

Jeff slowly calms down and his sobs decrease. He looks up at Jasper.

“You knew.”

“I'm sorry Jeff. But there are things we cannot reveal. It's against the rules.” He pats his head.

“I know. It's okay. I don't want my favourite grim reaper to get punished. Now let's go. She'll be there anytime soon. My sister needs me.” He looks at Jenny, who's falling asleep.

Jasper nods.

*********

See you in the next update!