Chapter 21

Jenny waves to Jacob as she closes the front door to her house. Their walk back home was quiet but peaceful. The evening was beautiful. She enjoyed it. She loved it. But she was sad that she was walking with Jacob because he wanted her safe. She hated that she had to walk home with someone to protect her. She hated the fact that she would not be safe alone. She wanted this to end. She just sighs.

*Jeff? Jas? Are you guys watching this? Will all of this end?*

She walks into the kitchen and sees mom cooking. She was happy. She was humming along to a song. The kitchen smelled amazing!

“Mom? What are you cooking?” Jenny walks into the kitchen.

“Dinner. I'm making Butter chicken and Naan.” She continues cooking.

“Ooh nice! Where's dad?”

“About that….he had to leave on a business trip for a day. He left in the afternoon. He'll be back tomorrow evening.”

Jenny nods. She looks at the dining table.

“Then why are there three plates?”

“Uncle Ben is coming over!”

Jenny looks at her mom. She blinks. Twice.

“Uncle Ben is coming over?!”

“Yes!” Mom beams.

*That man is coming here?!*

“Why?”

“Why? I invited him. Now go and change into something nice.” Mom shoos her away.

Jenny just goes to her room. She sits on her bed.

*Why the heck is he coming over? Why? Why now? Why now? When dad is away?!*

“Ahhh! I don't want to meet him.” She whines as she lies down on her back. She sighs.

She couldn't sleep now. She'll sleep later. And Jacob has gone to visit Ava. Should she also head to the hospital? She stands up and goes to the kitchen.

“Mom I'm going to the hospital—”

“No you're not. You're staying for dinner. Now go.” Mom orders.

Jenny sighs as she walks to her room. She changes into a t-shirt and wears her black jeans. She ties her hair into a bun. She didn't feel like dressing up.

She just sits in her room, reading till her mom calls for her.

“Jenn! Come down!”

She groans as she gets out of her room and walks down the stairs. Her heart clenches as she sees them hugging. They pull apart as they see her. Ben smiles at her.

“Jenny! Long time no see!”

She gives him a side hug and pulls away immediately.

“I'm fine Uncle Ben.” She replies.

He hands her a bag.

“For you. I hope you like it!” He smiles at her. She forces a smile back.

“Thank you.”

“Now that you're here! Let's eat shall we?” Mom asks as she leads him to the dining table. Jenny had no choice but to follow.

*Ugh...*

She sits as mom serves them dinner. Dinner tasted so good!!

*Mom never cooks this good when dad's at home...*

Mom rarely cooks when dad is at home. It was Jenny. But whenever mom cooked, it was okay. Not great. But tonight? The food was amazing.

Jenny couldn't eat, her thoughts filling her mind. She ignored the conversation mom and Ben were having. She didn't want to join it.