Chapter 10

*Am I falling for her?*

*Pfft! No!* He shakes his head, laughing.

He quickly buys two large burgers, fries and coke. He pays for it and quickly gets back to the shop. He opens the back door to see Jenny seated on the couch listening to music, her eyes closed. She was sleeping. He quietly closes the door and keeps the bag on the table as he goes to wash his hands.keeps their lunch on the table as he goes to wash his hands.

“You're back? So soon?”

He suddenly turns to see Jenny taking their lunch out and placing it on the table. She waits till he sits next to her and then hands him his burger.

“Yes. The diner is really close. So I was quick. You weren't asleep?” He asks, taking a bite of his burger.

“Mhmmm! So good!” Jenny says, savouring the taste.

“I wasn't sleeping...the music was so calming so I was relaxing.” Jacob nods, eating his lunch.

The two continue eating their lunch in a comfortable silence. Both their minds were occupied. Each having different thoughts.

As Jacob was finishing his burger, he hears a knock on the door. Both heads turn to the back door. Jacob gets up and goes to open it. He looks outside. He turns to Jenny.

“No one is here.”

Jenny just looks at him.

“Then who—”

The knock is heard again.

“Ahh...it must be the front door. But isn't the shop closed for lunch?!” Jacob mumbles as he walks to the shop.

Jenny continues eating her burger as she listens to the conversation happening outside.

“I'm so sorry, I thought lunch would be over by now….” She hears a familiar voice.

“Ahh it's okay...we were almost done with lunch.” She heard Jacob say.

“Okay…. Could you please make me a rose bouquet? It's urgent.”

“Sure! Give me a minute….” Jacob says. She could imagine him smile.

But the voice…..it was so familiar. But she couldn't point out it's owner. So familiar…. Was it one of her bullies? No! It wasn't….they never sounded so nice…..then who was it?... Jenny wonders. She was lost in her thoughts that she didn't see Jacob come back and sit. He waves his hand in front of her face.

“Jenny?”

She blinked.

“Huh?” She saw his worried face.

“I've been calling you for over a minute. You alright?”

“Yeah….I am...was lost in my thoughts.” She laughs. He smiles.

“Okay...finish your lunch soon. We have to open the shop again. I'll go now. Finish and come.” He says as he gets up, puts the the waste papers in the dustbin and takes his coke cup to the shop. Jenny starts quickly finishing her lunch.

*Why am I so slow in eating?*

*No Jenny. The question should be, ‘Why is he so fast at eating?’*

Jenny laughs.

____________

Soon it was evening and it was time for Jenny to go home. She looks at the clock.

5:00.

But Ava isn't here yet….is it okay to leave? So she stays.

“Jenny, it's time for you to go now...” Jacob looks at her from the counter. She looks at him.

“But Ava isn't here yet. Is it okay.. you'll be alone.”

Jacob was touched. This was her first day and yet she cared. He smiled at her.

“It's okay! My shift doesn't end till seven. I'll close up the shop and then head over to Ava and check on her.”

Jenny nods. She then gets up from her stool and goes to the lounge. She packs up her bag and goes to Jacob.

“I'm leaving now.”

He nods and smiles.

“Take care and I'll see you tomorrow. Stay safe on the way home!”

Jenny smiles and nods. She then waves to him as she leaves the shop, a wide smile on her face. Why? No one tells her to stay safe on the way home. Only Jeff used to…

*No sad thoughts! You're going to see him tonight!!*

She smiles as she walks home.

*Should I go check out the old house?*

She looks at her watch. It was 5:30 already. She still walks till she's at the front of the house. She looks at it.

That one window on the first floor always makes her curious. Why is it the only one which is clean? Why? There were curtains too! She wanted to go and check it out again. But time didn't allow her to do so..

It was already 5:45. She even had to prepare dinner. She sighs...maybe another day.

She looks at the house with a determined face.

*I will explore you soon. All of you.*
_______

*Gosh I forgot my parents are home!* Jenny sighs. She opens the door to see her dad watching TV in the living room and walks in to find mom cooking dinner.

“Hi baby! How was work?” Dad asks from the couch as he opens his arms wide and she hugs him. She then sits beside him.

“It was great! Had fun!”

“How's Ava?” he asks.

“She's great! Living her life!” both of them smile.

“Go freshen up Jenny! Let's have an early dinner!” Mom says. Jenny looks at her dad and he shrugs. She could feel him tense a little.

She gets up and goes to her room.

*Did something happen?* She wonders.

________

“I wish they don't fight anymore Jasper. They're hurting Jenny! Can't they see?!” Jeffrey exclaims as he sees Jenny walk to her room. Both the men were sitting on the stairs watching everything happen.

“I know...” Jasper sighs.

Their parents were messed up. Especially their mom. He knew something that even Jeffrey didn't know. He's afraid these kids are going to find out soon. And there's nothing they can do about it…..

What's going to happen to them?

*********

Hey loves,

I'm back!!!

Will be updating when I have time! I hope you like this chapter! Take care and I'll see y'all soon!!

With love,
Betty 💜