Chapter 15

“Doctor! She's awake now!”

“Okay! That's good. Her grandson must be on his way now. You can go now. I'll talk to her.” The doctor instructs her. The nurse nods as she quietly leaves the room, closing the door after her.  

“It's good to see that you're awake Ava.” The doctor smiles at her. Ava opens her eyes to see a familiar young man. Her eyes widen. She looks around the room she is at. All white. Why was she here? What happened?

“Why am I here Eric?”

“You fainted on the street today. Someone called the ambulance and you were rushed here...” He stops and glares at her. Ava knew he had more to tell. She nods at him to continue.

“Ava. You have Stage 4 Lung Cancer.” He takes a deep breath and looks at her. She looks back at him with a straight face. What was with that reaction?!

“Aren't you surprised?! You're dying!!” He exclaims, tears beginning to form.

“Eric, my boy. I know. I know.” She whispers.

Ava knew everything about it. She knew long back that she had cancer. How? She lost her mother to it. She lost her dear mother to it. She knew it's symptoms.

Now she is going to die. She gulps at the thought.

“Why didn't you come to me? I could have saved you. We could have started the treatment! Why?!” He shouts.

“Why? It's of no use! I'm going to die, Eric. Lung Cancer isn't curable! You know that very well.” She says, her voice shaky.

“But it is treatable! You could have lived longer!! You could have lived better!!” 

“And do what Eric? What will I do living long? I don't have anything here. I don't have the will to live! You know that. I'd rather die than live any longer!” She starts coughing. She covers her mouth. She removes her hand to see blood in it. Eric immediately gets the tissues and wipes it off her hands.

“You have me and Jacob! What will you tell him?! That you're going to die in few months?!” He asks, tears falling from his eyes. Ava's eyes widen.

“Jacob doesn't have to know! Please don't tell him. Eric I beg you. Please don't tell him! I don't want him to worry over me. I don't want him to be sad. You know he's been through a lot. I didn't want you to know either... I didn't want any of you to know and suffer with me...”  She reaches out to wipe his tears and pulls him into a hug.

“Don't cry Eric. Don't worry. I'm okay now. I'm happy. I'm not worried about my death. When it happens it will happen. I want to enjoy my life before I go.” She says, her voice shaky. But she was firm. She wanted to enjoy her last days.

“You and Jacob are the only ones that are precious to me. I've raised both of you like my children. I've raised you for eighteen years Eric. Jacob has been here with us for two years but he's equally important to me. If it wasn't for you two, I would have killed myself. You two are my only source of happiness...and I'm proud of how you two are coming up in life. But I'm tired Eric. I'm tired of living. I've been through a lot. I just want to close my eyes and sleep in peace forever. I want to rest. I need rest Eric.” Ava cries in Eric's arms. It hurt to know that the person who raised him with so much love and care is not going to live for long but it hurt so much more see her in so much pain. He cries along with her as he hugs her, patting her back to comfort her. She looks up at him.

“How long do I have left?”

__________

“Can I know which room is Miss Ava Wildflower admitted in?” Jacob asks out of breath.