Chapter 14: Ante

I watched Nazar sleep for a minute before leaving the warmth of the bed to get ready. I winced slightly at the familiar pain in my lower back but ignored it, knowing it would go away soon.  I got ready for work before making my way downstairs to drink a cup of coffee. I sat around the table, drinking slowly while being lost in my thoughts. I knew Nazar was right and that there were no reasons to stress about that woman but I just couldn't help it. I always had a tendency to overthink. I washed my empty cup before going upstairs to check on Ethan. As I opened the door slowly, my eyes widened slightly when I realized he was already awake and playing with a piggy plush. He stopped as soon as he saw me and looked afraid, as if he expected me to start screaming at him.

"Good morning Ethan, how did you sleep? Good? Would you like me to make you some breakfast before I leave for work?" I asked softly as I cracked the door open a little more.

He looked at me for a few seconds before speaking in a soft voice. "Can I have chicken and potatoes with sauce?"

I smiled at his answer, not expecting it. "I think it's a little early to eat chicken and potatoes but we could make it for dinner if you want. In the meantime, do you want me to make you some pancakes? Or maybe some eggs and bacon?"

"Eggs and bacon?" He said but it ended up sounding like a question.

"Come with me." I gestured as I started making my way down the stairs. Once in the kitchen, I took all the ingredients needed and started to crack the eggs. "How do you like your eggs?" I asked as I turned my head to look at Ethan who was watching me from the entrance of the kitchen.

"I like omelets." He answered shyly, looking at me for a few seconds before looking back at the floor.

"Omelet is a good choice. Do you want to help and beat the eggs?" I watched him take small steps toward me before sitting on a chair. I took the bowl and showed him how to do it before handing it to him. While he was beating the eggs carefully, I took this opportunity to start preparing the bacon. After a few seconds, I asked. "Do you need help?" 

"How long do I have to do that?" He asked a minute later.

I turned around to see what he had done and took the bowl from his hands. "This is great. I'm just going to beat it with more strength for a minute and then put it in the pan." I answered with a smile. 

He hesitated for a few seconds before sending half a smile my way. This sight made my heart beat a little faster; it was one of the first signs of trust he showed toward me! I finished cooking the breakfast and gave a plate full of food to Ethan before putting the rest in the fridge for Nazar. I then left him a voice message to let him know. From the corner of my eyes, I could see that Ethan was looking at me curiously.

"I'm leaving Nazar a voice message so he knows that I prepared something." I explained once I was done.

He frowned at these words before asking softly. "B-But how can he know there's a message?"

"He always checks it in the morning, that way he's sure not to miss when there's a message." I told him with a smile, happy that he seemed to open up a little.

He nodded, seemingly happy with my explanation. Not too long after, someone knocked on the door and I went to open it to greet Sylvie. I left for work not too long after, hoping it wouldn't start raining as I didn't bring my raincoat. The sky was a little grey this morning. Thankfully, I made it to work without getting drenched. I greeted Imogen as I went in my office to put my bag down before going back toward the entrance to get myself a cup of coffee. I took this opportunity to relate the last news about Ethan to Imogen, feeling happy to have positive news to tell.

"I'm going to wait until he gets more comfortable before starting sessions with him. I don't want to scare him and ruin our progress." I explained, throwing my empty cup into the bin.