Chapter 10: Ante

The interviews went well and I ended up selecting a woman in her mid-forties that had tons of experience with children of all ages and spectrums. She was a little more expensive than most of the others I spoke with but, at least, I knew that I would have nothing to worry about while I was at work. She was supposed to start this Monday as Ethan was moving in tomorrow, on Saturday. Saying I was nervous would be an understatement. I wanted everything to be perfect and I was terrified I would mess something up or that something would go wrong. 

"Stop being so nervous. Everything will be fine." Nazar reassured me while squeezing my shoulder.

"It's not going to be easy. He's going to be so scared." I whispered as I turned to face him.

"Obviously but you will know how to calm him and make him trust you. I believe in you." He whispered back before crawling closer to me. I smiled slightly at the trust he had in me. "You should sleep now, it's getting late and you need to be well rested for tomorrow."

"You're right..." I sighed before kissing him softly. "I love you."

"I love you too." He answered back before pulling me into a hug.

The night was short and I woke up at the first rays of sunshines to clean the house and make sure everything was ready. I even had the time to bake a chocolate cake before Ethan's arrival.

"It smells good." Nazar said as he entered into the kitchen.

"Thank you. I made it for Ethan, hopefully it will make him feel a little more comfortable." I replied with a smile before adding. "Do you want a cup of coffee? I made some as well."

"Thank you." He answered as I handed him a steamy cup.

I pulled the cake out of the oven and let it cool down on the counter just as Nazar finished his coffee. I knew it was just a matter of time now before Ethan arrived and I really hoped things would go smoothly. My heart skipped a beat when I heard a knock on the door. With one last deep breath, I made my way toward the front door and opened it.

"Hello!" I exclaimed with a smile when I saw Mr. Collins. Behind him was a woman holding Ethan's little hand. He looked frightened.

"Hello. Hope you're good." He answered before stepping aside. "We brought Ethan."

I nodded and smiled before walking toward Ethan. "Hello, nice to meet you. I'm Ante." I told him as I crouched in front of him. He raised his head to meet my eyes and took a step back, looking visibly afraid. "Do you like chocolate cake? I made one for you earlier." I continued, not letting this stop me.

He turned his head toward the woman and looked at her. "He loves chocolate." She answered with a smile as I got up.

"Good. Let's go to the kitchen?" I asked as I walked back to the front door when they nodded. They all followed me in the kitchen where Nazar greeted them. "Do you want something to drink?"

"A coffee would be great." Mr. Collins said and the woman nodded.

I nodded and turned the coffee machine on before cutting a piece of cake for Ethan. "Here you go. Do you want something to drink? I have orange juice, ice tea or water." I said as I handed him the plate with the cake on it.

He looked at me for a few seconds before looking back toward his plate and slowly starting to eat. "He likes orange juice." The woman, Lois, answered for him.

I nodded and took the bottle out of the fridge before filling a glass and putting it in front of him. I then served the coffee and sat next to Nazar.

"You don't have to be scared, they are really nice people and you will love it here. Believe me." She spoke softly to Ethan while he was eating and drinking. I could see that he was listening to her even if he didn't answer.