Chapter 12: Ante

After our ice cream, we ended up leaving the zoo and we waited a little for our taxi to arrive. Once it was there, I opened the door and let Nazar and Ethan enter before closing it behind them. I then sat at the front and the taxi brought us back home.

"I'm going to make dinner."

I watched Nazar sit on the sofa while Ethan made his way up the stairs, probably to go in his bedroom. I started to cook, taking the pans out to make an omelette with ham and red peppers. On the side, I made a carrot salad and put the food in three different plates once it was ready.

"Dinner is ready!" I exclaimed with a smile to Nazar while making my way up the stairs to get Ethan. I opened the door gently after knocking and I stuck my head in the doorway. "Come, dinner is ready."

Ethan looked at me with big green eyes as he hastily put the toys he was playing with away. He then followed me down the stairs and we went to the kitchen where Nazar was already sitting. We began to eat while listening to some music. No one was talking but the mood was relaxed and even Ethan didn't seem as tense as before. This trip to the zoo was a really good idea.

"I'm doing the dishes." Nazar said once we were done eating.

"Thank you." I replied, kissing his cheek. "Ethan, please come with me." I added, turning toward him as I got up.

He looked at me worryingly but followed me slowly. I walked up the stairs, praying it would go more smoothly than yesterday. I stopped in front of the bathroom and turned toward Ethan, facing him.

"I know you won't like this but you need to take a shower." I told him in a gentle voice as I crouched in front of him. His eyes widened at my words and he took a step back. He shook his head strongly, making his brown curls bounce around. "I promise I won't touch you. I will only stay to make sure everything is fine but you will shower on your own, alright?"

He shook his head again and took another step back before turning away and trying to go in his room. I got up and gently grabbed his arm to stop him and lead him toward the bathroom. I quickly realized it was the wrong move when he started to cry and his free hand grabbed my arm, trying to remove my grip. I flinched when I felt his nails - short but sharp - dig into my burnt skin.

"Stop, you're hurting me!" I exclaimed as I let go of his arm.

His nails got deeper until realization kicked in and he let me go. 

"What's going on?" Nazar asked while making his way up the stairs.

I looked at my arm before going in the bathroom to clean off the blood and disinfect it. "I wanted him to shower and grabbed his arm. He planted his nails in it." I explained while opening the faucet and applying lukewarm water on my arm. It hurt. Knowing his past, I should have known better than grab him. It was a stupid mistake on my part.

"Don't hurt him, that's mean." I heard Nazar say and I could hear that he was upset.

I couldn't hear if Ethan answered but I could still hear his cries so I hurried to clean myself before leaving the bathroom.

"It's fine, it was an accident. I shouldn't have grabbed you, I'm sorry." I said, wanting the situation to calm down. "But you need to shower. I know you're scared and that you don't want me in the room but I only want to make sure you don't hurt yourself. I can let the door open and stay outside if you prefer." I added, trying to find a solution that would suit everyone.

"What if I'm the one staying?" Nazar asked after a minute where the only thing we could hear was Ethan's cries.

I frowned, not understanding where he was coming from. "And how would you check if he's alright?"