16 : Long time no see

Sometimes...things get a little too complicated. Even the people, who one trusts the most, turn their back at times. When it's done for their own good, I call it betrayal. But when it's done due to their helplessness, I call it vulnerability.
-- from 'records of genesis' by George Watson

I

It was the day before William got chained by the troop leader from the illegal organisation. In a calm evening, after a short discussion, Charles left William at Rita's house and took his leave. With a smile on his face and a small bag in his hand, Charles walked out of the house and made his way toward his shop.

The time was of evening, the sun was sinking below the horizon and the working citizens looked like they were returning from their errands. It was a normal evening - for most of them.

"Charles," came the voice from his back, to which he stopped and turned around. The voice was that of Mateo, an old man formerly living near Charles and an uncle figure to him.

"Uncle Mateo," he said, after turning around. "It's been a while."

He smiled and said : "Indeed, I arrived in town this morning."

Charles moved forward holding his bag to his stomach and the old man joined him on his small walk. The crowd on the main streets was relatively less due to the working days, all one could see was people, who worked under the king or the civil workers returning from their duties.

"So, how is life on the outskirts?" asked Charles, breaking the silence.

"Calmer. Away from the busy crowd, decent enough."

"Sounds fine," he said. "at least for a retired person."

They walked further, casually talking over things which didn't matter much to either of them - just a way to get reacquainted before starting the actual conversation.

"How is Lenard doing?" Charles asked the old man while his eyes pointed towards the rods of the underconstruction massive bridge.

Hearing the question, the old man's face went down as he tried to pretend he didn't hear that. He looked back up and his eyes went towards the shop nearby.

"This owner redesigned his shop eh?" said the old man. Charles recognised the nervous ignorantness in his voice as the old man tried not to see in his eyes. He stopped at his place and looked at the man.

"Uncle Mateo," he asked with a curious face. "Is everything okay with Lenard?"

"Yes, he's doing fine."

"Your eyes say something else," Charles paused for a moment. "I don't recall, since when did my uncle started lying to me?"

The old man stood calm at his place. The tears in his eyes made him refuse to turn around and look at Charles. Wiping those few tears with his sleeves, the man turned around and looked at his curious face. His eyes filled with hope, trying to hide the emptiness within.

"People don't always lie because they don't trust one," said the man, in a slightly louder tone. "for some...it's their way to cope with the situation."

And Charles, unable to find the appropriate words to make the man feel better, only said, "I was only trying to help." His face, cold as ice.

The man sighed and walked towards him. He took a silent deep breath and exhaled it back out. With a calm expression all over his face, he began.

"Do you recall, Lenard was always willing to be a sorcerer?"

"It has been a dream of his since he was a child."