3 : The Invitation

Miss Charlotte Rose, one of the elites from Eva, the same rank as Rita, from Capital town invited me for a formal meeting. I was told not to bring William along. Not that he wanted to join anyway. William was acting strange lately. I would have preferred to meet Charlotte without him.

When I entered the office, I already knew I was late. She was waiting on the chair while her eyes stuck on the door, from where I entered. Charlotte Rose was a busy woman and had very little time to waste on having tea or a drink. Today, for some reason, her one eye was hidden beneath an eyepatch which was different from what I saw her in pictures.

"Mr George Watson." She said. "Ex-military member from special forces, an assassin, and a detective. Your reputation precedes you. A pleasure to finally meet you."

"Pleasure is all mine, Ms Charlotte," I returned her a smile. "Senior investigator, and an Elite from Eva."

"To be honest, looking at your records and work in special forces, a shady title like assassin doesn't suit you."

"I do have some history behind that," I said. "Maybe next time. . . when you have time for Tea."

She lightly nodded, "I shall not take much of your time. Let me put this straight." She said, sitting straight on the chair with a cautious face. "I know, the things that happened with William and you were recent. And you should have your break, but I'm afraid we might need you and William to visit the Capital at your earliest convenience."

"Your tone doesn't sound normal," I said. "Might I ask why?"

"I'm afraid I can't provide you details right now," She still had her serious tone. "For now, I can just say, things might not be normal in the capital town, the city of Amber's, and there is a possibility that it might, somehow, be connected to something sinister. And again, it's a Capital, a town where the royal family resides. So, it's a high-priority thing."

"Me and William, what about the Elite, Rita?" I asked. "I recall she's an Eva Elite. If things are critical, should she not be the more useful person?"

"As of now, we are not sure what we are dealing with," She said. "There should be someone to look after this area. And, you and William have worked together before. So the Director thought it would be better to call you both."

From the beginning, something wasn't right. I could sense fear and disappointment in her voice. A feeling rose in my mind to confront her and ask what was bothering her, but she was a senior and that would have been rude, so I had no choice other than to let her leave with that face.

She was in a hurry, as always. She handed me a card from her bag with the address and the name of the place mentioned. She stood up, took my permission to leave, and walked toward the door.

Before she left, she turned back, said, "And, I know William can be stubborn at times. I hope you can convince him to visit." A faint smile appeared on her face, hiding that serious tone and life force of hers. Soon, she left.

The anxious feeling in her voice told me I had no time to waste. I went to William's place, but he was not home. I was told he had not returned from yesterday. At first, it felt strange. The sun was already up and, in the past, he'd not been in the woods for so long.

Trying not to think much about it, my feet moved toward the old mansion. Opening the Rusty gate, again with that irritating sound, I walked toward the back of the house. Presuming, he would be standing near the lonely gravestone. I noticed him, silently sitting on the tree nearby the grave. It was a decently large tree and had small white flowers. I'm not sure what they're called, but they were small, white, and had small droplets of morning dew on their tiny petals which shined with the morning sunlight.