49

Relief runs through me as I watch him scan the room, looking confused.

"Dove cazzo sono..." he mumbles, lifting his casted hand to touch his face, but as soon as he sees the cast he looks at it with shock written on his face. Then his gaze meet my watery eyes and a small smile graces his lips.

"Lilah?" He asks. I nod. Butterflies erupt inside of me.

"It's me." I laugh softly.

"Am I dreaming? Where am I?" He groans, moving his hand from mine to wipe his hair away from his face.

"You're at the your dad's old house. You got in a car accident." I explain.

"Oh..." Is all he responds with. Awkward silence fills the room before he speaks.

"Come here." He opens his arms and I don't waste a second to hug him, resting my head on his shoulder. The familiarity of his warm embrace causes me to relax in his hold, his scent engulfing me.

"I missed you, bellissima." He says softly into my neck, hugging me closer to his body. I realize that I feel safer with him that I do without him.

"I did too." I respond, pulling away.

"Can we...talk?" I ask, as Ezra sits up straighter. I plop back down into the chair.

"Please." He nods. I sit in silence, waiting for him to say something, anything.

"I didn't choose to be a part of any of this...my father got me into it before I could even walk. I've tried to get myself out of it but it's impossible." He shakes his head, looking away. "I promise, Lee, if I could have chosen I wouldn't have joined." He says.

A part of me sympathizes for him. In the end, it isn't his fault. He's just doing what he's being told to do. What he's being forced to do.

"Do you...enjoy it?" I question. I stare into his eyes, trying to analyze his facial expressions in order to already have a sincere answer if he were to lie. 

"Of course not." His face contorts with disgust. "I hate every part of it."

"Have you...killed innocent people?"

"No, absolutely not. I only go for the bad people, traffickers, rapists, heavy drug dealers. Nobody that's innocent." He shakes his head.

See, Delilah? He's not a bad person.

"I'm sorry..." I say softly.

"No, angel, don't be sorry. You had every right to leave." He interjects, taking my hand in his.

"Remember when I told you I was moving into my Dad's old place?" He asks. I nod. "I moved in. I still have the other apartment, if you ever want to go back, but I primarily live in the other house now." He explains. I nod, understanding. I'm gonna miss that giant window of his.

"And remember the trip to Italy I was telling you about a while ago?" He asks again.

"Yeah."

"I was supposed to be leaving today, but I got into the accident so it's moved to next week." He says. The sound of his voice causes a series of chills to run down my spine but I try my best to hide them. I haven't heard it in a while, considering I couldn't bring myself to listen to all of his voicemails.

"Okay." I say.

"Will you come with me?" He asks. I nod with a smile.

"I guess so...it's not that I like you or anything." I roll my eyes playfully. He chuckles.

"It didn't seem like it two weeks ago." He says, his eyes becoming serious. He stares into my irises as if trying to capture me, which is what happens.