Magma Breather

*The next day*

Ryu & Tom woke up, still sleepy from what happened last night

They got up, walked past their mom, who was packing up for something, as they walked to the kitchen

"Morning, sunshines." their mom says to them cheerily.

Ryu & Tom grunt softly in return

"I hope that was a rested-and-ready-to-face-the-day grunt." their mom says to them jokingly.

This made Ryu sigh

"What are you doing?" Tom lazily asks his mom.

"Getting ready to go explore some caves I found in the fissure." Their mom explained.

This made Ryu very alert, as he slams the fridge door shut

"What? No, why?" he asks his mom quickly.

"Because that's why we're here, boyo." she states simply. "Scientific research." she clarifies.

"Right." Tom replies as he starts to laugh nervously.

Ryu facepalms

"Ughh, just our luck." he whispers to himself.

"I spotted something with one of the ICARIS scout drones." Their mom tells them as she sits down on the couch, putting it on the big screen.

Ryu & Tom sat down next to her as she continued

"It looks like a vein of auriferous quartz that could lead to a large deposit of..." she begins to explain.

"Gold." Ryu & Tom say simultaneously.

"Gold is right." their mom tells them, smiling at them.

"And you think we don't listen to you." Ryu says jokingly.

"Oh, I know you 2 listen when it's convenient." she replies. "Look. It's here in sector 9." she explains as it beeps on screen.

"Way over there?" Ryu asks. "Oh, that's perfect. It's nowhere near sector 2." he adds.

"Sector 2?" their mom asks them questioningly.

"No! I mean, of all the sectors, sector 2 looks the most... boring." Tom says while laughing nervously. "You know, but 9? 9 looks awesome." he tells his mom.

"Nice going, bro." Ryu whispers in his ear.

They hear some beeping as Dr. Sledkin appears on screen

"Good morning, Olivia." Dr. Sledkin says in a fake-friendly voice.

"Dr. Sledkin..." Olivia replies, not happy with seeing her.

"There's been a change of plans. Director Wong and I need you to map some caves in sector 2." Dr. Sledkin explains as Ryu and Tom get a shocked expression at that revelation.

"Sector 2?" Olivia asks Dr. Sledkin, confused. "The mineral deposit is in sector 9." she explains.

"Yes. I'll lead a team there to check out your quartz discovery." Dr. Sledkin says smugly.

"You'll lead?" Olivia asks her annoyed.

"I've checked with Rakke Corp, and they'd prefer you do the mapping. You are, after all, the explorer in the group, aren't you?" Dr. Sledkin tells their mom.