Meadow and Wolves

Jewel's POV

It's been twelve days since Bella went to the cinema. She was sick the day after, but is better now. Apparently Jake is sick though and Harry's heart is causing him trouble. He'd visited us four days ago and given me some fish fry. Anyway I have a birth box now and Charlie got me old  towels/blankets to use for nesting.

Charlie and Harry are going fishing together. Bella was told to stay at home or Jess's as she can't hang out with Jack. To not go hiking because of bears. But she thought it was a great idea to take me into the woods. While she wanted to look for a meadow she used to hang out in with Edward.

I didn't really want to go. I'm forty-five days pregnant. And the smell of multiple large predators was not helping my nerves. I tried to stay calm, as mum had told me stress is bad for my pups. I stay glued to Bella's side as we enter a cold, gloomy, cloudy meadow.

"It's ok girl" she assures me. But she looks at the meadow sadly. "He's not here" she mutters as she falls to her knees. I notice tears in her eyes. I whine softly and nudge her gently. I hear a rustling noise and scent the air. The fowl scent from Mason county fills my noise.

I pin my ears back and snarl looking at the tree line. "What is it girl?" Bella asks me confused as she gets up. She looks at the tree line as a dark skinned man with dread locks appears. I stand in front of Bella growling at him. "Laurent" she says.

"Bella" he says. She smiles brightly while I snarl at him. "I must admit, I didn't expect to find you here" he tells her. He approaches slowly and I growl in warning. "Didn't know you had a dog either" he states wrinkling his nose in disgust.

"I live here and she's my dad's police dog. So she's very protective" she tells him. "But you - I thought you were in Alaska with Carlisle's friend" she says confused.

"Tanya, I was. It was kind of him to arrange, given my association with James and Victoria. 'The enemy'" he states.

"You tried to help us" Bella states. Laurent begins to stroll in a slow arc around us. I keep my eyes on him, staying in between him and Bella.

"I went to visit the Cullens, but their house is empty. I'm surprised they left you behind. Weren't you sort of a pet of theirs?" he asks Bella. Her smile falls and I notice her fear and press myself against her leg.

"Um... something like that" Bella says sheepishly as she pats my head reassuringly.

"Do the Cullens visit often?" he asks her.

"Absolutely. All the time" Bella lies. "I'll tell them you stopped by, but I should be getting Jewel home" she states. "Will they be able to reach you in Alaska?" she asks him.

"I don't think so. Tanya's 'vegetarian' family was pleasant enough. But the dietary restrictions were difficult living on nothing but animals" he tells her. Suddenly his standing in front of us and I snap at him. Growling loudly. He doesn't even flinch. "Tell me Bella. Do you ever feel compelled to cheat?" he asks her.

Bella involuntarily takes a step away from him and I follow. Staying glued to her side. "But that's not why I left. I came back here as a favor to Victoria" he tells her.

"You're still friends?" Bella asks him shocked.

"More or less. She asked me to get the lay of the land with the Cullens. Because, well I'm afraid Victoria is quite put out with you" Laurent tells her.

"That's to bad" Bella tells him.

"Yes. She feels it's only fair to kill Edward's mate, given he killed hers. Eye for an eye, mate for a mate" he explains. I sense Bella's terror and growl at Laurent.

"Edward will know who did it. He'll come after both of you" Bella tells him.

"I don't think he will. After all, how much could you mean to him if he left you here unprotected?" he asks her. I snarl, she's protected. No one will hurt her while I'm around. I maybe pregnant, but I'll always protect my family. "Victoria sent me here for information. She won't be happy about my killing you" he says to himself.

While I crouch getting ready to lunge at him. "No Laurent" Bella begs.

"No, no, no. Don't be upset. I'm doing you a kindness. Victoria plans on killing you slowly, painfully whereas I'll make it very quick" he tells her. "Along with the dogs, I promise" he assures her. I bare my teeth ready to pounce.

"Edward, I love you" Bella says closing her eyes. Suddenly Laurent freezes and I hear a twig snap. I smell large predators. I notice fear in his eyes.

"I don't believe it" he says. Five huge wolves appear from the tree line. I recognize the big black one from the night Bella was lost in the woods. There's no one I can take them on.

The black wolf stalks towards us growling at Laurent. I stay perfectly still with Bella. As the wolves seem focused on Laurent. Who runs off, four of the wolves give chase. Th russet wolf looks at Bella and I growl. The black wolf lands beside him and gets up growling. They both took after Laurent and the other wolves.

"Lets get out of here girl" Bella tells me. We hurry back to the car as quick as I could. She droves us home. We then rushed inside I went and curled up in my birth box. Where I finally felt safe.

"Bella? What's wrong? Why does Jewel look stressed?" Charlie asks.

"Dad, I saw them! In the woods!" Bella exclaims.

"Bells, what the hell were you doing in the woods? And with Jewel no less, she's pregnant" he demands. As Harry kneels beside me, patting me reassuringly.

"They're not bears! They're wolves! I mean like they're huge wolves" Bella tells him. Harry pauses in patting me.

"Are you sure about that?" he asks her.

"Five of them. The size of... of cars. I swear. They went after something and I ran with Jewel" Bella tells him.

"Ok, Harry feel like going hunting? Get some of your guys together?" Charlie asks him.

"Yeah... ummm... sure... ok... I'll just" Harry stammers and left the room. Charlie grabs the home phone and calls a work colleague from the station.

"Put a hunting party together tranq guns, large caliber shotguns there's something dangerous out there" he states. As Charlie hangs up, goes to his gun cabinet. "I gotta get to the station, stay with Jewel and help her relax" he tells Bella.

"Good! That's good" Bella tells him.

"You okay here? You both want to come with?" he tells her.

"No, we'll stay. We'll be find dad" she assures him. He kisses her forehead and gives me a pat.

"Stay strong girl, I'll be back soon" he assures me. Before leaving. Bella makes me dinner. She then sits beside me leaning against the wall stroking my head. I'm fully relaxed now, other then worrying about Charlie.

"He'll be ok girl" she assures me. "He won't be out there alone" she states. We stay together all night. Until we went to her room. Where I curled up on a large fluffy dog bed in the corner.

A/N

Picture above of Laurent and picture on the external link of the five wolves.