Mason County

Jewel's POV

Today Charlie and I are going to Mason County to help with a hunt for some sort of animal. It attacked and killed someone. We'd be joining another dog and their handler. But this mornnig Charlie went to go get new tyres for Bella. It's been five days since she came to live with us. Last night was the first night I slept in Charlie's room since her arrival.

But when I went to wake her up this morning I smelt a foreign scent in her room and growl lightly. I notice nothing out of place and Bella wasn't hurt. But that's the last time I leave her alone. While she got ready for school I went outside to wait for Charlie.

It starts to rain lightly as Bella exists the house. "Great" she mutters whipping her forehead with her gloved hand. Charlie appears with her truck. "Dad, I can drive myself to school" she tells him as he parks the car. Before he gets out Bella slips on a patch of ice and nearly hits me.

I yelp backing away. Before rushing over o her with Charlie. "You ok Bells?" he asks concerned as he helps her to her feet. I lick her gloved hand whining in concern.

"Ice doesn't help the uncoordinated" she tells him as she pas my head reassuringly.

"That's why I got you new tires" he tells her. She looks at the car. "The other ones were nearly bald" he adds.

"You got me new tires. No one's ever done that before" she states. He looks at her confused. "I mean... nothing" she tells him. He whistles for me heading to his cruiser opening the back door.

"We'll be late for dinner. I'm heading down to Mason County, with Jewel. A security guard at the Grisham Mill got killed by some kind of animal" Charlie tells her as I hop into the cruiser.

"An animal?" she asks confused.

"You're not in Phoenix any more, honey. They've been hunting it for a week with no luck. Thought I'd lend a hand with Jewel" Charlie tells her as he shuts the door.

"Be careful" Bella tells him.

"Always am" he assures her as he gets into the car. As she thanks him for the tires. He starts and drives off. "I want you to be on your best behavior girl" he tells me.

(Time skip to Mason County)

We arrived and Charlie put my vest on. I whined at him, I hated wearing the vest. "I know girl, it's just to protect you" he says calmly patting my neck. He clips the lead to the vest and I jump out of the cruiser. He shuts the door and locks the car.

We head over to a group of people and I smell the other dog. When we reach the group I see it's a black and tan male. "Charlie thanks for coming" a man says. "Wow Jewel has grown" he states looking at me as I sit beside Charlie.

"Well she is nearly two" Charlie tells him.

"Well lets get the introductions out of the way" the man states. "This is Adam and his dog Bruiser. The twins Oliver and Levi. Then of course there's me Nick" he states. "Now the attack happened about three miles that way, everyone keep is eye sight of each other" he tells us.

We head off. We soon reach the crime scene and I smell something fowl. It's smells like the Cullens, but more rotten. I start to sniff the ground I don't smell an animal just the scent. I notice Bruiser doing the same. 'Anything?' I ask him with a small bark.

'No, just that rotten smell' he grumbles. 'It was at the last scene too, I think it's the culprit' he states. I nod and we start to follow that scent.

"They got something" Charlie and Adam state. We track the scent for several miles before we lose it at a stream. We found no tracks at all. I whine pawing the ground and Charlie sighs in defeat. "She's lost the scent" he tells the group.

"So has Bruiser" Adam adds.

"Well I think we should call it a day then" Nick states as I have a drink from the stream. The others agree and we start to head back.

"So this is Bruiser, heard good things about him" Charlie says as we walk beside Adam and Bruiser.

"Yeah, had him for nearly five years. Breed from him twice and pups all went into force or army" Adam states. There's that word again.

'Bruiser, what does breed mean?' I whine confused. He chuckles.

'It means to have pups' he tells him.

'Oh' I sigh avoid his eyes. I never thought of having pups of my own. I'd probably have to say goodbye to them when they reached twelve weeks old. Like I had to do with my mum and siblings. Could I really do that?

We arrive back at the cars. "Call me when she goes into heat if you want to breed from her. And I'll come with Bruiser" Adam tells Charlie. Who nods his head and they shake hands. Charlie removes my vest and I roll around happily.

"Ok enough girl, in the car" Charlie tells me with a fond smile. I yip. I bark a good bye to Bruiser before hoping into the back seat. Charlie starts to drive us home as I grow tired and decide to take a nap.

(Time skip)

I wake to Charlie's phone ringing. He answers it putting it on speaker. "Charlie Swan speaking, how can I help you?" he asks.

"Sheriff, it's Brett from the hospital. Bella was in an accident and is here" a guy states.

"I'm on my way" Charlie tells him and hangs up. He puts his sirens on and speeds the rest of the way home. We arrive at the hospital and go inside, me on lead.

A/N

Gif above of Bella slipping and picture on the external link of Mason County.