Believe It Or Not

The following day, I agreed to go shopping with Izzy after school since we were in much need of some girl bonding. I kept waiting for the right moment to tell her about Aaron. I don't know why it seemed like such a big deal in my head, if anything she would be sort of proud of me. But I  held it off and focused on dresses for the party.

Elizabeth finished her purchase as I waited outside. I stood behind the rail on the second floor looking down, people watching. To my amazement, I saw Aaron with someone coming out of a store. I didn't know how to get his attention, I'm not the type to yell at people from across the mall. And before I could think any further, this perky blond girl came galloping out and jumped on his back.

"What the!" I blinked several times and strained to see closer. 

She slid off and Aaron swung his arm around her just like he did to me yesterday. My heart sank deeper when he planted a kiss on her forehead. He did that to me too. They laughed and smiled and looked happy together. Just as stupid as I looked. How could I not believe I was being played when we had no title for a  relationship? All we had was a stupid agreement. He obviously had a taste for a variety of women. Brunettes and Blondes. He was just another Jordan and I was warned after all.

In disbelief, I wiped away a stubborn tear. He didn't deserve one, not even this small one. My heart began to hurt. And while I thought Isaiah made me feel like crap at times, this was way worse. This really did hurt. I felt another tear.

"Brynn? Are you okay?" Izzy squeezed my arm.

"No. Are you ready to go home?" I asked without making eye contact.

She looked terrified, full of worry. The car ride home was silent and I felt lost. A part of me  argued that I shouldn't be upset, he told me that he dated other girls. Still, I was almost convinced we were kind of exclusive. Or so I wanted to believe. I just needed a few minutes before I spilled everything and the quiet car ride helped me collect all my thoughts.

When we got to Izzy's room, she checked her laptop and then shut it off. Walking over to the bed, she laid next to me and waited. Where to even begin?

"Izzy, am I not pretty enough to keep a guy or something?" I sulked and hugged one of her decorative pillows.

"B, you're gorgeous! I don't know what's going on but you can't let it affect you like this. Tell me, what happened?"

And so I opened my mouth and spent the next half hour telling her about a guy named A. My eyes felt dry from so many shed tears. Out of nowhere, I felt the tip of the bed sink. I looked down and saw Jordan sitting there and for the first time he was silent.

"How long have you been listening?" I sniffled.

"Long enough." He said in a serious tone. "I'm sorry Brynn. Believe it or not I don't like to see you this way."

I closed my eyes and let it sink in. I drowned in the thought of losing my kissing partner and someone I thought was special to me.

"Maybe you'll meet a nice guy at the party." Jordan added.

Jordan's attempt to cheer me up felt weird. I wasn't in the mood nor did I have any hopes of meeting any more guys. I would ditch the party if I could, if I hadn't worked so hard to get my mother's permission. At the end of the day, I knew this arrangement wouldn't last forever. At least that's what my head said to my heavy heart.