Hot Air

I spent the morning of my birthday changing the water from the flowers in Jordan's room. Somehow I pictured this special day to be more exhilarating, but now was no time for celebrating. Everyone was still grieving as Gabe's funeral was only yesterday. And I was in no state to remind my friends that I was born this day 18 years ago.

I didn't blame anyone for forgetting actually; maybe next week would be a better time to celebrate it. Besides I had greater worries, poor Janet had been practically living in Jordan's hospital room. We both missed a couple of days of school, but she had slept several times on the chair by his bed. Having confessed to me that it was her fault that Jordan was on that bed and Gabe was gone…no matter how we tried we couldn't convince her otherwise.

Jordan was doing better; he wore a neck brace. And if all went well during the next analysis, in a couple of hours, then they would discharge him tomorrow morning. Jordan hardly knew Gabe, except for seeing him a few times; still he was heartbroken over his death. I learned that Jordan's reason for driving out to search for Janet was out of worry for her drunkenness and regret to having left in the first place...Interesting how that turned out.

Izzy and Devin showed up with Rhea. Janet took Rhea for a little while so the siblings could talk, meanwhile Devin and I were about to go to the cafeteria.

"Oh wait, B. I think Jordan wants to tell you something." Izzy called out.

Jordan could barely speak loud enough for any of us to hear, so I walked all the way beside his bed to lean over his head.

"Happy Birth-day." He whispered.

How he always remembered, even in this state was a mystery to me. I gently squeezed his hand as I articulated a thank you and walked outside.

"Are you okay Brynn." Devin asked.

"I don't know…there's just been…so much has happened it's hard to digest." I replied as we slowly walked towards the elevator.

Even though Devin and I had a 'phase', he was the person I loved to vent on. He always gave me an honest answer, just like Isaiah, except he was around more. Even at school it seemed impossible to talk to Isaiah lately. I think he was nervous to leave for boot camp right after graduation and be far from us and Lilah. But Devin remained as that older brother figure, to me and Janet. Izzy was lucky to have him.

"So, off topic, how are things between you and Izzy going?"

"Well, I've been helping her with Rhea as she's been studying for all these exams to get her diploma. As I'm sure she's shared that she won't be walking with you on graduation day but at least they cut her this break."

I agreed with Devin, although I wondered what she would do now.

"And how are things as far as your 'relationship'?"

"I know at first, I was drawn to her out of sympathy for her situation. But now as I've gotten to know her, and my fondness for both her and Rhea has grown; I dare say she's the one I'd like to 'settle' with." He smiled.

"Now 'settle' as in there is no one else to peak your interest, so you're 'settling for her'?" I asked worried.

"No Brynn, 'settle' as she's the ONE I see myself marrying in the near future." He shocked me.

Another wedding followed by Isaiah wedding; how come everyone was getting married? Was that the new fad? But I shared my friend's happiness as if it were my own. Especially when it came to the group of friends I had; each tear and laugh I felt.

"But tell me…how much ground did Aaron shake with his visit here?" Devin turned the tables.

"Oh gosh, that was so unexpected. He was the last person I was ever expecting to see at the restaurant."