New Year's Kiss

"So who are you going to kiss after the countdown?" Janet asked as we counted our tips for the night.

"Hmmm…my hand."

"What? That's crazy, I know of at least 3 guys that would love to substitute that hand. As for me, I'll be standing right next to Gabe."

"That's a shocker!" I rolled my eyes.

I was surprised they hadn't kissed already, but Gabe was very rare…he was a shy guy. Janet and I had finished our shifts, while other servers had just clocked in for tonight's special New Year's Party at the restaurant. With just enough time to go home, shower and change; we rushed out the door. I don't know what the heck I was getting ready for; or who for that matter. Janet would come back with Terri and me with Izzy. Great!

Perhaps it was a good time to ask Elizabeth some questions regarding her feelings towards the two gentlemen. I just didn't know how to approach it and not seem jealous. I finished sliding into my emerald green dress with black accessories, while Izzy wore a loose black dress. It didn't feel quite like normal yet having her back in my room.

"So… how are things going with you and Devin?" I tried to seem casual as I curled my hair.

"I wasn't under the impression that Devin and I had something 'going on'." She spoke skeptically.

"Oh well, I thought you guys kind of hit it off at the Christmas party, so I assumed maybe you took a liking to him."

"No way! Have you seen me lately?" She rubbed her belly. "I'm not exactly hunting around for a husband or anything." She giggled.

"So you're not even a little bit interested in Devin?" I frowned.

"No B. Besides he's YOUR friend. He was just super sweet to me and told me about how he clung to his sister when she was first pregnant."

"Oh…I was sort of hoping to set you two up." I gave a crooked smile.

"No, but I wouldn't mind you 'setting me up' with Terrence…"

Terrence! Ah hah! So it's him she likes and not Devin…was I being too mischievous? But what if Devin liked her even though she obviously didn't feel the same way? And how was I supposed to know if Terri would even consider dating a pregnant girl? I guess I could find out from Janet tonight. Oh gosh, now I felt nervous for Izzy. I guess we both would be kissing each other's hands tonight.

Arriving back at the restaurant again, my doubts were confirmed once I had seen Devin's eyes following my pregnant friend. Then I realized, I over complicate things way too easily. When it comes to feelings, I'm just going to stick to understanding my own, which is enough drama for me to handle. So my kiss tonight could very well be from my mother…after Mr. Rogers.

"Brynn you look outstanding! Would you mind hosting at the front door for hmmm 2 hours or so? Hand out the hats and rattles?" Philip, my boss tugged at my arm.

"Oh well…" I wasn't expecting to have to work again.

"I'll throw in 40?"

"Sure thing, BOSS!" I smiled stunningly.

Philip clearly wanted this party to be a success as our first New Year's event since the reopening. Elizabeth went and sat at the bar and began talking to Devin…who was clearly now branded my big brother. So as I handed out the party props to our guests, I couldn't help wonder what happened for him to change his flirty ways with me? Did he get to know me and suddenly got turned off? Oh I wasn't sticking to the 'no thinking' plan too well.

Isaiah and Lilah arrived, then my mother looking so beautiful and excited. I was thrilled for her, maybe now instead of girl's night she would have date nights. It was about time! She kissed me on the cheek and went to grab a small table before they were all taken. And not too far behind was Mr. Rogers.