He's Back

Six months later...

We are creatures of habit. And while I've heard it takes 21-30 days to break a bad habit, I'd like to believe I cut it off instantly. It's been several months since I was last diagnosed with the Brown's disease. Yes, I'm referring to Elizabeth and Jordan Brown. Two individuals I've had the pleasure of avoiding and cleansing from my life.

Entering winter break, I'd say my junior year has faced some challenges. I begged my mother  to let me transfer schools but she wasn't having it. I gave her lame excuses, and still, she said  whatever issues I had couldn't compare to the real world problems. Therefore, I had to work my situation out and not run away from it. Reluctant at first, I took her advice for she has always been my greatest example.

Isaiah eventually came around and we put the whole Izzy thing behind us and stayed friends. Tensions were still there, especially when we crossed her in the halls. It was impossible to miss her, shockingly, she dyed her hair bright red. It suited her well, She-Devil. Izzy called me once after that dreadful lunch, but when she found out what I did from Jordan, my false prank, she ignored me from then on as well.

It started with mean looks and turned into my non existence. I had no problem with that whatsoever, until I was spotted chatting with Isaiah, then the daggers reappeared.

I joined the Student Council and talked Isaiah into doing it with me. As representatives of our class, we participated in various school projects and events. This kept me busy and interacting with a different crowd, my mother loved the idea. I'm not the studious type but this challenged me to be a better. A better student academically and a better person. I had a new set of goals than if I stayed as Izzy's shadow.

I kept my part-time job at the ice cream shop, only morning weekend shifts. Having a car with such a demanding schedule made my life a little easier. In contrast to the last month of summer, I transformed from a hermit to a less timid butterfly. From boy-crazy to no boys.

The Vice-President of our council assigned me the decorations for our upcoming winter festival, scheduled before the last day of class. I researched previous yearbooks and magazines at the library but they were so outdated. After school, I went to the bookstore at the mall and browsed through most of their holiday magazine racks. Isaiah agreed to meet me there and finish our event plans.

While texting him a few ideas that came to mind, I bumped into a familiar person.

"Oh, excuse me." She blushed "Hey, don't I know you?"

It took me a second, but I smiled when I recalled our last meeting.

"Yeah, in the bathroom." I felt my cheeks turn rosy from embarrassment.

"It's funny running into each other again. You know my cousin, Aaron, right?"

"Yeah, we're friends. Sort of. I haven't seen him since he left for Hawaii."

"Oh, he's back now! Since the beginning of December. I-I'm sorry, I'm Lilah."

"I'm Elise. Nice to meet you." I chuckled nervously. I figured if she mentioned anything to Aaron, about meeting a certain Brynn, he'd have nothing good to say.

"You know what, his birthday is coming up next weekend. He's turning 21, so it's a big deal. You should come! Let me give you my number."

Little did I know Lilah would turn out to be the sweetest person ever. The complete opposite of Izzy.

"So are you here visiting again?" I asked curiously.

"Actually, I moved into my uncle's house, Aaron's house, this summer. I'm going to the same University in Long Beach, boarding there as well. Aaron and I come back on the weekends."

I remembered Aaron telling me that. And how sweet it was when he drove all the way down for those wonderful kissing lessons, and then drove an hour back. It was hard not to think about him.

"So this is your first year?"

"Yup and I love it! It's a great campus! Maybe you'll get to see it sometime since we are having the party over there at The Queen Mary, in Long Beach. It's in one of their ballrooms. I'm so excited, there's even a theme! Dick Tracy, like the old mobster movies. His dad talked him into it. So don't forget to dress up!" She added.

"Hey, there you are! You weren't answering your phone."

Upon Isaiah's arrival, I saw an immediate sparkle in Lilah's blue eyes, one I was all too familiar with.

"Lilah, this is my good friend, Isaiah." I introduced gladly. This was one blonde, and only blonde, I didn't mind Isaiah taking an interest in. We were just friends and nothing more. Truthfully.

Isaiah shook her hand with a boyish smile, such a charmer. And I couldn't help myself.

"Do you mind if I invite Isaiah to the party?" I imposed, with great intentions.

Isaiah, although lost, played along. I liked to think he trusted me by now and I would update him on the facts later.

"It was nice to meet you, Lilah. I have to run to the bathroom for a minute. Where is that, by the way?"

After she pointed in the opposite direction and watched Isaiah leave, it was obvious she liked him.

"Be sure to tell your date to wear the right attire for the party."

"Oh, he won't be my date. We're just friends going as friends. Besides, I would feel better driving out there with someone than alone." I explained.

"Oh good." She seemed relieved. I wouldn't want her confusing us as a couple, a mistake I already made once.

Lilah left after we saved each other's numbers. Then Isaiah came back a little disappointed to find me alone.

"Where did your friend go?" Nice try Isaiah.

"She said good bye, she had to go. And by the way, whenever we hang out with her call me Elise."

"But no one calls you that." He said puzzled.

"I know, and that is why. I think it's time I tell you a little story." I motioned to the café attached to the bookstore.

I told Isaiah everything, all that happened between Aaron and I, minus the kissing details. I even mentioned the Jordan catastrophe. It felt like I traded a girl best friend for a guy one. There really are relationships that are meant to be just friendships. We kept that special connection after all.

"So what are you thinking about?" I asked, afraid he would judge me.

"I'm thinking we really need to go to this birthday party." He grinned.

"I know where they still have clearances on Halloween costumes."