Desperate Times

He cut another piece of steak; I could tell he was satisfied with every bite as the corner of his mouth would curl once the flavor sunk in. I watched as Aaron used his hands to feed himself and then grab his glass of water; those same hands that touched me and made me feel magical. My eyes immediately drifted further to the sight of his caramel colored chest peeping through his gray shirt; remembering how smooth and mesmerizing his broad shoulders and back were, it's a shame they were now hidden.

The waiter came to take our dessert order, allowing me to see a flash of his white teeth as he kindly thanked our server. He was so dreamy and I was smitten. How could he look so cute and be so sensual in secret. I couldn't wrap my head around it. Every moment we spent together was making it harder to think that I had to leave the next day.

"Why do you keep looking at me like that?" He chuckled.

"Like what? I'm not looking at you in any way." I sprung to my defense.

"You have stars in your eyes..."

So he was on to me, but I just couldn't help it. Here I was, a simple girl, in Hawaii with an amazing boyfriend who had shown me more wonders on this Island than the actual attractions and in less than 12 hours I'd have nothing. I wanted to cling on to him to not waste a single second...and that's why I've been called pathetic many times. But I didn't know the rules and boundaries for relationships...clearly.

It had been a month since I'd return from paradise, but I remembered our last dinner as if it were yesterday. Although I missed Aaron it was refreshing to see Isaiah and be inside my school walls again. Lilah was back at Long Beach, and Izzy was nowhere to be found. I heard rumors that she had been casted for a small role in a film...good for her! And on a different note, I had befriended the new girl at school, Janet Rogers. Having been a former new girl once, I thought I'd be that friend that Izzy never truly was.

Janet reminded me of how I was two years ago; shy at first but an overall nice person. She came from a military family, both her dad and uncle were in the Marines; sadly her mother had passed away a few years back. So I'd invite her over as many times as possible to have dinner at my house, to which she took a liking to my mother; it was mutual.

Things with Aaron were a little difficult as was to be expected. I mean we'd text often but talk once or twice a week. From how Janet had explained it, I almost felt like one of those military wives; missing my man like crazy and hoping to talk to him again. Unlike those strong women, I had the privilege to call and reach Aaron when I wanted; it just wasn't always the best time. I learned to wait for his call, as I never knew if I'd catch him in a class or working late extensive hours or him simply just missing my call.

For being my first real relationship, this long distance deal SUCKED! But I had my last year of high school to keep me distracted, along with the student council, my friends and let's not forget my job. Although I was unsure about my current employment; Janet had recently gotten hired as a waitress at a remodeled hip restaurant where they had mentioned that they were looking for one more girl.

Janet had previous waiting experience over the summer, but I wasn't sure serving ice cream would be considered the same level of experience. Though once I heard the earnings would possibly double mine, I thought I would at least give it a shot. So on this particular afternoon, I had an interview with the manager after school. So before driving over I quickly swung by the house to wear something more professional.

Walking through the main entrance I immediately fell in love with the scene of this place; it looked modern and definitely attracted a younger crowd. I envisioned myself working here as a turning point of the verge of my adulthood. Because I had more confidence after my recent 'transition' and I felt like this suited a more mature Brynn Rael.