Only One

I was flipping through the magazine pages looking for a new hairstyle for Janet. She was bored with her look and I didn't blame her, she had only been sporting it since the day I met her. We pointed out some pictures but nothing seemed to satisfy; until Janet saw one of the hairstylists and shouted "I want that!" When I observed the woman, she had a bob that fell around her chin with long bangs falling on her cheekbones.

Studying her and Janet back and forth, I believed we had found the right cut; it wasn't a coincidence that they both had similar facial structure. No doubt this haircut would make her look older but it would be easier to manage when she went off to nursing school. I couldn't wait to see the transformation, while I just decided on more layers and a V cut in the back.

We still had to wait a few minutes for both our stylists, so I made use of the time with good conversation.

"Have you heard from Ian lately?"

"We text every now and then. He's supposed to go to Canada in a couple of weeks. We're only friends though, so don't get any ideas SIS." She nudged me.

"Oh it was a completely honest question. I wasn't hinting at anything…for once." I winked. "You know what we should do…we should go to the Winter Festival together, remember last year?"

"At the high school?" Janet asked scrunching her nose.

"Yeah. Isaiah is coming this week we could all go together, just like old times."

"Wow, we must be a bunch of dorks if a high school party is all we have to look forward to."

"C'mon, you know the idea doesn't sound half bad. Besides it will give you an opportunity to show off your new do."

"While we are on the subject of crazy ideas…" I rolled my eyes I didn't think it was that crazy of an idea. "I was thinking we should get a tattoo together." Janet smiled brightly.

"A tattoo…hmm…do you have anything in mind?" It sounded crazy but tempting.

Janet held my hand and pointed at both our wrists "we can get the same tattoo and have it complete each other's when our wrists come together."

"But do you think the placement would be ok in the military?"

"Good point I didn't think about that."

We gave it some more thought as we finally were called to our individual chairs. In the 2 hours that we spent there, all I could see was the disappointed look on Janet's face. I could tell she really wanted this tattoo and I sort of did too. We had a solid bond as friends and sisters. We had to do this.

"What about on the inside of our arms?" I pointed two inches down from my armpit.

"That would be PERFECT!" Her face beamed.

Gosh my first tattoo. We didn't even bother telling our parents much less ask for their permission. This was for us and no one else. I remembered a name of a guy and his shop Terri had mentioned once randomly. So as impulsive as it was we walked right in and out branded. We decided on small locket tattoos; mine had a J carved on the front and Janet had a B.

We then went to show off our tats to Devin at the restaurant and get a bite to eat. But when we walked in I almost fell back when I saw Aaron already there talking with him. Janet looked at me a little lost and all I could do was shrug. This was the last thing I had ever pictured in my head. Devin was a cool guy and never held a grudge, so I wasn't expecting him to give Aaron a cold shoulder for my sake; even when he knew the history between us. But I also wasn't expecting for them to be laughing and shaking hands on whatever deal they had made; like a new bromance.