Expect the Unexpected

We made it. We pulled through some years of reckless adolescence. Now to graduate into the real world which was more than likely nothing at all how we expected. Because high school does a great job in preparing their students to take charge and direction from here on out...pfft! We were all sad and lost, only before we were in a protective bubble and now we're being thrown in with the sharks.

Not to fret, some of us had a plan. Some of us were moving forward to distant places while others stayed behind and made the best of it. Isaiah and I had road trips to make. As for Janet, her path was unclear. Weeks after my mom returned from her honeymoon we had finally made the big move to the Roger's house. I got the smaller room down the hall, though I didn't mind because I spent most of my time in Janet's anyway.

Janet was slowly coming out of her emotional coma. It took her a while to realize that things just happen; accidents happen. And she couldn't go around carrying the burden that wasn't even hers to begin with. Jordan was doing much better but had to take a break from surfing for a while, to allow his body time to fully recover. That pleased Janet's ears more than he'll ever know.

However Janet had distanced herself from Jordan, from everyone a bit actually; except me. She couldn't stand not seeing Gabe at work so she decided to quit. Everyone was sad to see her go but they understood why. I took on one of her shifts and encouraged Izzy to think about taking the position. It worked to her advantage, as she could spend more time with her boyfriend...Devin of course.

Janet insisted on watching Rhea some nights while Mark did others. That worked out perfectly, Izzy committed to night shifts and would drop Rhea off at our house before work. I'll never forget when I walked in to find Terri playing with the 5 month old while Janet had stepped out to the store. I couldn't decide who was cuter: Rhea giggling or Terri trying to make her laugh.

Among all these subtle changes came Janet's decision to swear off drinking. I was all for positive change, just as long as it was for the right reasons. I didn't want her feeling obligated to because she owed Gabe and Jordan her life or something. Regardless, we all supported her choice.

I remember back in the day, fantasizing about Prom and all the hype. But when it came, the excitement just couldn't compare to the amazing dates I already had with Terri. I did decide on going with Janet instead, as she preferred me to any insignificant date. We went with Lilah and Isaiah, though that was bittersweet as well; it was one of the last hangouts with our buddy before heading for boot camp after graduation.

Later that evening Devin and Izzy joined us and I was beginning to think this was the last time we would all be together like this. Though this sadness wouldn't compare to the joy set before me in San Francisco. That night, as Janet and I returned home, a brilliant idea had hit me.

"Hey Janet, so what are you going to do about nursing school?" I wondered as I took off my shoes.

"Well...I haven't told dad yet, but...I can't find the motivation to do it B."

"What if you just took a semester off? I'm sure he would understand given the circumstances."

"Yeah but I already quit my job. And I don't want to go back there. Maybe I'll become a fulltime nanny or something." Janet shrugged while unzipping her dress as we climbed up the stairs.

"Janet, what if...you came to live with ME?" I offered as we walked into her room.

"You mean it?"

"Yeah, it would be fun...Roomie" I nudged her as we plopped on her bed. "I would love to have my sister with me as I don't know a soul out there."

Janet was smiling and nodding as she could picture a wonderful couple of months in the artsy city.

"I would love that! Dad would totally be on board with that too, since I'll be living with you. A breath of San Francisco air could do me good for a while. I'll get a job around the area too, to help out with stuff." She proposed.