Chapter 34: What Have We Become?

~Vic's POV~

Back at school and it's not easy doing this whole "break" thing. Strangely enough Kellin has been staying at Oli's over the weekend, and seems to be for the foreseeable future. I was forced to explain the situation to my parents, which was difficult especially since I wasn't too sure on it all myself.

Most of the weekend was spent me sulking in my room. My wrists were stinging, hurting to move them at all. I kept long sleeves on the whole time, and knew I'd have to for a while, as these scars weren't going to fade anytime soon. Every time the cuts would touch my sleeves, I'd wince in pain. I guess it's a good thing I kept myself away from everyone that weekend.There was also the added pain of what those guys did to me, but at least that was another distraction from the pain of being away from Kellin.

Kellin never replied to my message from the other day. So I couldn't stop worrying where he was, until Oli called me the following morning, explaining that he was going to be staying there for a while. I thought Kellin didn't like him anymore, so of course it came as a surprise to see him living there.

I was taking my books out for my first class when Oli came over to me by my locker. "Hey, um, Vic," he said. "Could we come over tonight to get some of Kellin's stuff?" I knew who he meant by 'we', and I hated to think of them as a 'we'. But I knew nothing would happen.

"Ah, sure," I replied, looking over to where Kellin was standing staring at us a few metres away. He could have come over here himself.

"Thanks," he said. "I'm really sorry about all of this."

"It's not your fault," I reassured him. "It was those guys." I paused, noticing those same boys not far from where I was, picking on some other defenceless kid, throwing his books around. "It's for the best." I looked over to Kellin to see his eyes were also on the boys. I wish I could do something to stop them, stand up for the kid, but I knew I never could. The only thing I could do right now, was keep a distance from Kellin.

"Are you two still fine?" he asked, snapping me out of my daze. "I mean, you both don't seem to be going so well about it." I knew my eyes were glistening with tears that I was holding back. Whenever I think about it, I just want to cry.

"How's Kellin going?" I asked, still worried. Oli told me the other day he was going okay, but that could have changed. I have no idea how he's feeling.

"He's coping," he replied. "How long is this whole break thing going to last, I don't really see the point in it."

"Until those boys stop picking on people for being gay. We're only doing it because I don't want Kellin to get hurt again. It's for his safety."

"You know it could be a while before that happens," he spoke. "They won't just change their views overnight you know."

"I'm sure it won't take too long," I mumbled, turning back around and grabbing the remainder of my book, closing the locker door.

"Whatever you say," Oli said before walking off over to Kellin. I watched as they chatted a bit, I'm sure filling him in on what I said. They walked off down the hall together. I wish I could still talk to him, I don't know why I can't. Maybe he's angry with me or something, but doesn't he see I'm doing this for him. Why wouldn't he reply to my message, it's not like those bullies would ever find out. We can still talk, can't we?

I walked into homeroom to see Kellin sitting in our usual seats, and found myself gravitating towards him, sitting down where I usually do.

"Hi," I whispered. "How are you?"

"Fine," he replied. "But why are you sitting next to me?"

"I wanted to," I said, pausing. "And none of those boys are in here."