Chapter 30: Falling Down

Kellin and I hobbled along the almost empty parking lot, beaten and bruised. Covered in black, purple and red, pain was all our bodies held. No one was in a good way right now.

I stopped, tuning to him. “We can’t keep doing this.”

His eyebrows came together, yet I could see he understood. He didn’t open his mouth, I wouldn’t either if my jaw was in the same way as his. He just nodded.

“Kellin,” I said, knowing I was about to say something more painful then what I was already feeling. I knew it would be just as bad for him. “I think we need to take a break.”

Let’s go back to how this started. It was the middle of the day, we’d just had music, finishing off our song together. We got help with the music from friends, but it was complete. Feeling good about our work, and us, we made our way together to the cafeteria. Everything felt great right now. Kellin was officially my (secret) boyfriend for almost a month. He was happy again, no longer worrying about his parents, and loving living at my place. We haven’t exchanged “I love you’s” yet, even after hearing him say it to me in his sleep. I knew what I was feeling for him was love. I just didn’t know how to say it.

We sat at our usual table with Tony. His presence was almost seen as awkward now that Kellin and I were enjoying each other’s company that much. He just sat there, never joining our conversation because we are always too infatuated with each other. I never told him about us, but I honestly wouldn’t be that surprised if he’d figured it out.

People make jokes about us being together, though every time we just either ignore them or argue against it, we can’t help but send each other a smirk when it happens. No one but Oli knows about us. Kellin hasn’t brought up telling people for a while now, and I’m glad of that.

“Hey!” I heard the shout come from Alex, not directed at gaining the attention in the room, but as a complaint directed at Jaime. “Give me that!”

“Nope,” Jaime said popping the p sound. I looked to what it was, and from here it looked like a phone. This seemed like more than just fun banter, but something more serious. Either way, it had certainly gained the room’s attention.

Alex reached for it, Jaime standing up, holding it behind his back. Quiet chatter was heard all around the room, but not too loud that we wouldn’t be able to hear the two of them. Everyone had the same question on their mind, what was going on?

Alex kept reaching for the phone, but Jaime just kept moving it away, out of his reach. He’d jump for it, and Jaime would easily move out of the way. He’d hold it out as if to taunt him, only to taking it from him once more. One thing’s for sure, Alex wanted something on that phone. And this was causing him to look like an idiot, an even bigger one than usual. Though he was still the top popular, everyone had started making fun of him behind his back. Even the lowest people, they’d still laugh about him. He just seemed so… pathetic now.

People were starting to get up from their seats and crowd around them, much like we always to. I, too, got up to see the commotion. In the past I wouldn’t have cared so much, but Jaime was part of this. And even though we haven’t spoken for ages, I still look out for him, even if he doesn’t return the favour. I knew he could be a real idiot sometimes, but whatever he’s doing can’t be good to his “new best friend”.

All around came the questions of what was happening, what was on the phone and why did Alex want it so badly. By this point, Alex was practically begging Jaime to just give him the phone. But I saw that evil smirk appear on his face that could only mean trouble. Alex too noticed it, his eyes widening with shock.