Chapter 33: Don't Go

“So tell me what’s going on?” Mike asked after about five minutes of silence in the car, me just laying back with tears falling down my cheeks. “What happened?”

“Some bullies… found us. They beat us up. Alex and Jack were no help, of course…” I began, mumbling my words. “Josh Franceschi was there too, but he stood up for us. He warned us… me and Kellin. He said they were out for us, the bullies. It would only get worse. So…”

I stopped, getting chocked up on my own words. “So… we decided we’d take a break, from us. We knew what would happen if we continued like we were. We knew it wouldn’t be safe. So, for a bit, we’re just going to… keep our distance from each other, I guess.”

“Are you okay?” Mike asked, playing the part of the caring brother for once.

I nodded, though knowing it was a lie. “I will be, it’s for the best. And it’s not like we’ve broken up or anything like that…” I knew I was going to miss him like crazy for however long this was going to go on. I imagine until those boys finally get used to what’s happening with the school and when there are more gay couples than they’re able to beat up.

Mike remained quiet, yet I could tell, as always, he’d have a million questions in his head. But I didn’t want to talk about it anymore at the moment. “Why are you driving my car?” I asked him in hopes at lightening the mood, and finding out what had been in the back of my mind since I saw him. Though my tone didn’t come out as light hearted as I’d hoped, and more demanding because of my mood.

“I was on my way to see Tay,” he replied. “She said something about being in that area so I was on my way to meet her.”

“And you just left her there?” I asked, confused.

“Well, you’re number one, little buddy,” he replied, giving me a small smile. I can’t believe he’d ditch his girlfriend for me. I never thought he’d do that. I used to think all he cared about was himself, but now I’m starting to change my mind.

We got home and I went straight up into my room, dodging the parents. I don’t want them to see me in the state I’m in. And I didn’t want to have to explain why Kellin isn’t here. But my room really wasn’t any help. All I could see was reminders of Kellin everywhere. Was it a stupid idea to suggest a break? I mean, we hid our relationship for that long, we could just do it again. But now that probably won’t work as everyone knows how crazy we are about each other. A real break will be the only thing convincing. If we were just pretending we weren’t together, everyone would see straight through us. Everyone already made jokes about us before, so we were slightly obvious. If anything, they’d just think we’re slowing down or something. No one would believe we’d broken up.

Where will he go now? Where is he now? This was the only place he’d ever be outside of school, he has nowhere to go. Surely he wouldn’t have gone back to his parents. Even if he told them we weren’t together anymore (though we still sort of are) and that he’s straight, it’d still be a horrible environment. I’m worried for him, I just want him to be safe, that’s the whole reason we’re doing this. I just hope he can see that.

My worry takes over and I decide to call him. I can still do that, they won’t ever know, right? So, I’m doing it. I hold the phone to my ear as it rings out, going to voice mail. It’s strange of him not to answer, he always does, even when we’re at school. Is he angry at me? Maybe he really hates the idea of this whole break thing. I hung up, wishing I’d left a voice mail. I went onto my messages sending him one.

Vic: Hey I’m sorry about everything, I just think it’s for the best. You know we aren’t broken up right? Where are you? I’m worried about you :( message me back as soon as you can. Love you x